Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

67 Mustang Coupe Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:55 PM
aselby

Default 67 Mustang Coupe Suspension

Hey guys I am looking for some suggestions on how I should redo the suspension on a 67 mustang coupe. It was given to me by my wife's uncle a couple of months ago. He parked it 14 years ago saying the trans was leaking fluid. I changed the trans pan gasket, have it running, and so far so good.
This past weekend I felt like she was ready for the "maiden voyage". So I took her around the block a couple of times. She ran and shifted well, but the suspension is shot. It felt like the body was bouncing off of the rear end. I'm not surprised, but I have never worked on a suspension before.
The car will mainly be a cruiser, but some spirited driving is not out of the question. I have read about the Shelby drop, is this good or bad? Do I leave it at stock height or lower it(in addition to the drop)? What size tires and rims should I put on it?( I understand that will also depend whether or not I lower it.) I am leaning toward stock suspension, but can I upgrade the stock suspension with a certain brand of parts? Oh, and of course, I don't want to break the bank. I am looking at shocks, front coils, front sway bar, and leaf springs. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

You can get a very nice driving/riding car with improved stock components. This is a good starter articleL
http://home.bresnan.net/~dazed/suspension101

The shelby/arning 1" drop is a very good idea as the alignment can then be adjusted to better settings with the newer radial tires, remember these cars came with bias ply tires and were aligned for those. The drop will put your tires flatter to the ground also. The 1" drop really only lowers the car ~1/2".

You can lower the car if you like, it'll help handling a little and hurt ride quality if you go to low (IMO). If you like a lower than stock appearance, mideye rear leafs and front springs with a 1" drop is pretty common to put your wheel well lip just above the tires normally.

Most of all get decent quality name brand suspension parts like Moog or McQuay Norris if you can find them. If you plan to keep the car and enjoy it I'd suggest UCA from John at http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/products/ his street UCA are ~$20ea. more than the repops but you'll never have to change them or worry about them wearing out and he preadjusts them.
Jon
Old 10-03-2011, 11:18 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Once you get all of the suspension changed out get a export brace and monte carlo bar both will stiffen up the front end.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:18 PM
aselby

Thanks guys. What would be some websites to purchase these suspension components? Would the Open Tracker Racing Products be good place to buy all these parts? Also with the Monte Carlo bar, should you purchase an adjustable bar or fixed? would there be a benefit of one over the other? I'm sorry for all the questions, but I want to get it right the first time.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:51 AM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

If I were going to choose a one stop shop it would be John at ORP. You can get a few things cheaper separately but then you'll pay separate shipping too and they won't be prepped like John's parts.
Jon
Old 10-10-2011, 12:21 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Honestly both monte carlo bars do the same job just the plan looking one is cheaper.If you want a pretty billet one http://www.streetortrack.com/Quick-R...-pr-23524.html and they have a nice export brace too http://www.streetortrack.com/Billet-...-pr-24452.html
Old 10-12-2011, 08:58 PM
aselby

What are thoughts about sub frame connectors? Which would be better bolt on or welded? Are they a good addition to the suspension?
Old 10-13-2011, 01:37 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

To me they are a must to have and weld them in.The ones that look the best are http://www.tinmanfabrication.com/ind...prod&prd58.htm
Old 10-13-2011, 08:41 AM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Yes, there are a half dozen suppliers out there but any brand you buy should be welded or you'll only get 50% or < of the benefit.
Jon
Old 10-20-2011, 08:36 PM
aselby

I have read where people were complaining about bushings and squeaking. What type of bushings should be used? Also, I believe I will leave it stock height but what size rims and tires should I put on it? It already has Granada disc brakes on the front, so are there any concerns about clearance of the calipers?

Quick Reply: 67 Mustang Coupe Suspension