Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Problems with CJ Pony Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 12:11 AM
mustang65z

Angry Problems with CJ Pony Parts?

Has any body else had a similar experience?

I purchased a complete front end kit for my 65 Mustang of which was shipped in its entirety at the end of May 201 even though the parts were charged to my credit card in April. The items were installed in the first week of June and the front end has squeaked ever since. I have contacted CJ pony parts on multiple occasions and have been given the run around since every time I call. I have even been told that there is no record of some of the phone calls that were placed even though I have names and times that I spoke with the individuals. Another thing that was mentioned is that they have had a staffing reduction; therefore customer service is slower to respond. The only thing they seem to care about is telling me that all these old cars have noises, and do not care to make the problem right. I have had the car back to the repair shop and verified that the problem is in the upper control arms that were supplied by CJ pony parts. Bottom line is it appears by the research that I did online and my personal experience that all CJ Pony parts is concerned with is making the sale. I encourage other to go and look at the many post on CJ pony parts and the problematic parts, and the lack of customer service after the sale is complete.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:47 AM
MustangFTW

have you greased it? you.might need to break in the suspension since its all new.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:13 AM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

I purchased some headers on sale from them and 10 months later when I got around to installing them I noticed they were defective. They took them back no problem.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:20 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by noroof66
I purchased some headers on sale from them and 10 months later when I got around to installing them I noticed they were defective. They took them back no problem.
I remember you telling this story. Not to make a huge deal about one good or bad transaction, but I think that's pretty impressive.
I've probably got over $1000 tied up in my mustang in parts from CJ and I'm happy so far.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:25 AM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Yeah their customer service sucks, even before they fired people.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang65z

I purchased a complete front end kit for my 65 Mustang of which was shipped in its entirety at the end of May 201 even though the parts were charged to my credit card in April. The items were installed in the first week of June and the front end has squeaked ever since. I have contacted CJ pony parts on multiple occasions and have been given the run around since every time I call. I have even been told that there is no record of some of the phone calls that were placed even though I have names and times that I spoke with the individuals. Another thing that was mentioned is that they have had a staffing reduction; therefore customer service is slower to respond. The only thing they seem to care about is telling me that all these old cars have noises, and do not care to make the problem right. I have had the car back to the repair shop and verified that the problem is in the upper control arms that were supplied by CJ pony parts. Bottom line is it appears by the research that I did online and my personal experience that all CJ Pony parts is concerned with is making the sale. I encourage other to go and look at the many post on CJ pony parts and the problematic parts, and the lack of customer service after the sale is complete.
Im sorry but your first post ever was to criticize a vendor because your front end squeaks? Really? You state above that you went "Back" to the repair shop to have them tell you it's the parts fault and not the installation...seriously? How do you know they greased anything? Did you use any neoprene or hard bushings in anything? Those things squeak like mad. I could say that if you installed everything yourself you would know for certain, but you are expecting the internet to take your word for it that the shop in question knew what they were doing.

I am going to guess that you purchased the front end "kit" to save money, that usually means you get the cheapest import stuff on the market, sometimes it is less than stellar in quality. Also, you mention the word "research", did you spend any time inquiring about quality parts or just cheapest price?

Hey, I am all for complaining about a deal gone bad, or a part not being what is advertised, but creating an account just for the sake of a dig is kinda lame. Where are your "research questions" located? It is clear that it was not on this forum...
Old 10-18-2011, 12:11 PM
mustang65z

Coupe,

I am sorry that you feel my first ever post offended you and you look at it as “kinda lame”. The point I was trying to make is that it looked at the posts of this forum and a couple others and found a few “horror” stories about CJ pony parts, but did not give it much though because there were only a few of them in the last year. Oh and by the way here is a link for just one of them from this particular forum with an unhappy customer of CJ pony parts. (https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...ror-story.html), and seems to be the same MO? My point in the entire thing is that through this entire process from June on, Not one person from CJ pony parts has made a call to me, I have been promised many times of a return call, and never have gotten one. To me that is poor customer service, regardless if I have 1 post or 5000 post. It is also interesting that 1slow67 who has 6,519 post, says that “there customer service sucks”. Bottom line is that I am sure if the parts you order work with no problems they are a top notch company, but if something is not correct they have poor customer service.

To respond to the comment on the current shop I had the work done at I have used them for many years and have never had a quality issue with any of the work they have done. I know there have been a couple of posts including yours asking about if they greased anything, and you will be happy to know not only did they grease everything they even took the time to put the car on the rack and show me that all was greased and in place. I am sure I probably am not superior as you noted that I did not put all the parts in myself as you would have. Please except my apologies for not being as mechanically inclined as you are. I am sure though that there are many other people out there that drive classic cars and have others work on them for the one fact that they are not able to do it themselves.
The bottom line to this entire post is that I looked at other post and ignored the warning and went by the fact that many people praised them so I never really thought twice about getting as you call it “the cheapest import stuff on the market, sometimes it is less than stellar in quality”. I will stand corrected in thinking this was supposed to be an open forum, and you should be able to post anything in regards to Mustangs, as long as it is not vulgar, but I guess that is not the case. All I posted was the actual experience that I had with CJ Pony parts to see if anybody else had experienced this lately in hope of a resolution, because I have not gotten one from CJ Pony parts, and you were quick to call me out and say I had no business posting what I did. Just like you posted your comments I should be able to do so as well.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by mustang65z

Was it a Polyurethane (PU) bushing kit you bought?

If it was, PU is KNOWN to squeak, sometimes even when greased. It's just the trade-off for the stiffer components.

I haven't heard too many bad things about CJ pony parts but I've never looked. When you look hard enough, ANY place can be made to look bad.

Just my 0.02 cents
Old 10-18-2011, 01:16 PM
mustang65z

I did double check that at first and found at that they are not Polyurethane bushings. My deal it is very disappointing that they have not made good on even returning a phone call. oh well live and learn, this has been an experience...
Old 10-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

they are not PU and they squeak?? That IS crap! Who makes the kit?

Quick Reply: Problems with CJ Pony Parts?