Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

AOD FMX PRNDL alignment

Old 11-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Tom R

Default AOD FMX PRNDL alignment

HI I'm Tom,
I'm new to the forum and have been doing Resto-Mods on various cars.
I currently have a 1970 Mach, In which we put an AOD.
Long story short I have not been able to get the FMX shifter to line up with the display in the car for the PRNDL when it is attached to the trans.
The donor trans was out of a mustang and I can get P R N D 2 to line up but the 1 will not when I adjust for the 1 to work the car won't go into park.
Manufacturers of kits do not have a bolt on from FMX floor shift to AOD.
Has anyone done this sucessfully ?
There are column shift kits but I need floor shift kit.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:35 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

I did it in my 69. I ended up using the old linkage. I flipped it around so that the shifter end is now on the transmission. I had to flip the shift arm coming out of the trans so that it pointed towards the floor first though. I ground down the mounting pin nub that was originallytalking attached to theflip fmx and is now at the shifter end and welded the bolt and bushing there so that the rod now is attached at the floor shifter and adjustable at the transmission. I did have to cut the adjustment slot a little to give it moore room to adjust and then bend the rod in a couple spots to fit. Sounds confusing i know. Sorry. Ill try to take a pic for you.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:37 PM
MustangFTW

Hmm you could try a longer shifter? Should give you enough of an arc to shift through all the gears.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:30 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Stupid fat fingers and autocorrect..
Old 11-08-2011, 09:34 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

They do sell the pre-fabbed shift linkage but its around 100$. Too much for something that can be made up with a grinder a welder and your original pieces.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:21 AM
Tom R

Thanks all I'll try the reverse the arm, The shift lever is already up on this trans The first trans had it down and it bound up and cooked the first one.
The 69 shift arrangement is a little different than the 70 but there may be hope yet.
Unfortunatley the trans is in the car and it has headers on it making it tight to work on. Had a bugger of a time getting the link rod back in to the trans lever I had the link rod out to shorten it so I dould get more adjusment slot at the floor shifter arm.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:31 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Thats why i flipped it. It naturally fit better too and took less bending. Do you have a TV cable installed? I didnt go crazy with adjusting mine via pressure gauge, i did some research and found that you just need to preload the arm a little and have it move one for one with the accelerator arm, be sure to get the cable corrector for your type of carb so that the tv pull is linear too.

My headers are almost touching the pan on mine . Any big bump makes a clang. Had to get the exhaust reworked because of the trans mount being in the way.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:45 AM
Tom R

I had the headers cut and the Mounting flanges re welded. Have to use some caution because if you put the flanges in the wrong spot they will impead the removal of the steering gear.
Tv Cable wasn't an issue we fabricated the brackets and made our own link up for the carb.
We did do the pressure testing as I have the gauges and the specs. It always pays to do it right when we can and with the propensity for these transmissions to cook if not done right, why chance it.
Note WE. I have a few other folks that work with me on projects of this nature.
I can't take credit for all of the sucesses myself although I sure end up taking credit for the failures a lot LOL.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:47 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Check out 69stang.com in the how to section, there is a good write up that may help out with the aod idea. I have read that most folks end up adjusting the tv cable for a better shift feel after using the gauge anyway. I guess you will find out once the car is running. Ill probably cut my flanges off too once im ready for some new exhaust down the road and then rework the trans mount for a better fit. I love my aod and run 3.7 gears in the rear all day. I keep it in 2 when putting around town and slap in OD when im cruising over 45that or so. I dont like how mine will jump into OD at 50 no matter if im accelerating or not. I may need a rebuild some day.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:53 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

To mee the answer would be to modify the shifter arm on the tranny by slightly shortening the radius between the two pivot points of the arm, like by maybe a 1/4" to 1/2".

This will alter the ratio enough to make use of the shifter travel you have available.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AOD FMX PRNDL alignment