Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Torque Restorations 73 Convertible Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:42 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

On my car I'm not worried about rust good under coating and it will never see snow so no salt on it either.And before i put it up for the winter i have a rigged up garden sprinkler on wheels i use to clean the under side of the car.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:23 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

sacrificial zinc on a car? Really?

Wow. There's a blinding flash of the obvious.

The project looks good, man. Keep posting pics.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:18 AM
torquerestorations

Glad I could shed a little light on everything. Thanks everyone. Wheel house removal information coming soon.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:35 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
sacrificial zinc on a car? Really?
Wow. There's a blinding flash of the obvious.
Not quite sure what you mean, but it is not a blinding flash of obvious to everyone. I personally never knew such a thing existed.

Lynn
Old 11-24-2011, 06:42 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by torquerestorations
I wouldn't have thought that there would be so much interest on sacrificial anodes, but here we go:

They sell kits that include running very low currents through the anodes, but it is really not necessary.

Thanks for the info, I never knew such a thing existed.

So do those "electronic rust preventors" that are available on some new cars work like this kit you mentioned?
They actually work? My brother in law has an electronic rust protector on his truck when he bought the truck new several years ago, I never asked or noticed to see if it is doing it's job.
Lynn
Old 11-25-2011, 10:19 AM
torquerestorations

Originally Posted by LynnBob Mustang
Thanks for the info, I never knew such a thing existed.

So do those "electronic rust preventors" that are available on some new cars work like this kit you mentioned?
They actually work? My brother in law has an electronic rust protector on his truck when he bought the truck new several years ago, I never asked or noticed to see if it is doing it's job.
Lynn
They work if you keep on top of replacing the anodes. Like the water heater reference I made earlier, if you keep the anodes replaced, corrosion will bypass going after the steel and stick to the zinc. The electrical kits just run really low voltage through the anodes. It's really not necessary, because the raw zinc does the work.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:06 PM
torquerestorations

Here's some new progress on the mustang. Everything is mocked together and ready to weld. New trunk drop offs, outer wheel house, quarter, and tail light panel. To prepare for welding, we align everything and hold it in place with 1/8" pop rives to check for fit.

Front end is on, not quite aligned.

As for the outer wheel house on the passenger side, it is one of the most interesting that I have come across. Most other cars we have done, and most all in general, have spot welds connecting the outer and inner wheel houses. This Mustang, however, is factory welded and must have been installed in one piece on the assembly line.

Because it is welded along the entire circumference of the house, it needs to be addressed in a different way. If you examine the weld closely, you can see that there is hatch marks around the whole perimeter. You need to take a wide cut off wheel along this entire area, directly on this 1/4" wide weld. By cutting down through the weld to the inner house, but not through it, you can remove it. After you get it out, you need to clean it up and flatten it out with a flap wheel to allow the house to sit flat. Also, while you are mocking it up, make marks for the support brackets on the back side, and drill down through the house to allow for spot welds. Let me know what you guys think. Cheers.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:31 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Looks nice I want a 71-73 vert in the worst way. Passed on up and havent found another good deal yet. What are you doing for the color on this one, top color and interior. Idk why but i have a hard on for one of these in white with black top.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:38 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

Good to see another classic back on it's way to the road. Looks like you're on the home stretch with the body as long as the floor isn't too bad.

It's a shame to see a 6 cyl going into it. IMO the v-8 sound is half the attraction with these old cars. But the customer is always right.

So where do you buy those zinc things?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:45 PM
torquerestorations

Got some new pictures of the current situation:

Also, started doing a little electrolysis rust removal on some parts. Highly recommended process! Google it....

Cheers
Dave

Quick Reply: Torque Restorations 73 Convertible Build Thread