Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Winter storage -- why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 02:39 PM
200ci66
1st Gear Member

Default Winter storage -- why?

Being that this is my first winter with a fully restored classic, maybe I'm missing something. But I don't understand what everyone's obsession is with parking their classics in their garage for an entire winter (or more: September-April I've heard)

Sure, everyone's gonna jump on the bandwagon quickly and yell "SALT! SALT!" I'm done hearing about salt to be honest. It's January 1st, and it's snowed twice this year in Indiana, and neither were serious enough to warrant putting salt down on the roads. We haven't had salt on our roads since last February. We've had a very mild winter, and I've taken advantage of it every single day that it hasn't rained heavily. I've put 4000 miles on my 66 since July, and it's really proven itself as a reliable vehicle. Aside from all the mechanical stuff we've done before the restoration, I've done all the regular maintenance to this car, and it's really paid off.

Our beater - a 2000 Mercury Sable, runs below par and has its fair share of rust. My dad's daily driver - a 2003 Lexus RX300 has been hit by an uninsured motorist leaving it looking awful. Plus, it's a crossover, and I hate the experience of driving and riding in it. In a nutshell, our 45 year old car runs better than our 2000 Mercury, and looks better and is a lot more fun to drive than our 2003 Lexus. Not to mention, the 200 gets better gas mileage than both cars anyway.

Why do people treat classic cars like museum pieces? They're meant to be driven. Just because it's winter and it's cold outside is no excuse to put them away. They're not motorcycles, they're cars. 45 years ago people drove these cars on a daily basis through the worst winters. The only reason I see to not drive these cars in the winter is when the ice and snow is so bad that it poses a safety risk.

The worst thing you can do to a car is let it sit. Right? Not driving a car is what causes it to age fast. It's a car, not a museum piece.

Anyone else like me and still have their Stangs out past New Years Day? Anyone think I'm insane? What are your thoughts on where the line should be drawn on a daily driver VS. weekend cruiser VS. perfect car/never driven except to shows.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:44 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

what is winter?
Old 01-01-2012, 03:32 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Mines a daily driver so it sees all the types of weather. I don't see why people treat them like museum pieces either, drive the dang thing.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Gun Jam

mine is a daily driver so I dont bother with storage.

BUT..I would not want to drive my car in snow...I dont exactly know how the tru track LSD would respond in that road condition. All that aside if any salt is used its absolute murder on any bare metal that if finds and sits on (rest assured it will find some to set up camp)

So people who typically live in these areas will store their car of the winter and go through some basic steps mainly removing the fuel from the carb and tank. Fuel collects water and will typically go bad in 3 months leaving water and stale fuel in its wake.

Other more cautious people may go to further extremes beyond removing fuel.

-Gun
Old 01-01-2012, 06:42 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

I had all my mustangs out on Saturday.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:21 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I drive mine tell they salt the roads but its not just the salt people here forget how to drive when it rains or snows.I use to drive a tow truck when it snowed even a inch our calls doubled over night triple if its 5 inches of snow.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Well....I did drive my 65 in late January/Early February once.
It didn't end well.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:53 AM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Took mine out Sunday. Usually it sits during the winter but that is because I have taken something apart. Winter is kind of project time for me. Here, Central Illinois, we have not had any snow yet so no salt yet. I won't take it out in the actual slush or snow but if it is clear and dry and the car is together I do. However, I did fill the tank and put in fuel stabilzer in November in case I did not go anywhere until March or so. After all the work I did on rust repair (this is midwestern original) I saw what salt can do.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:30 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

Growing up in the 80's in Massachusetts, the winters started right after Halloween and ended around late March. Winter used to be snow (measured in feet not inches) and the temp below freezing for most of the time. Since then, I have wintered in Korea, Texas, North Carolina and Washington DC. They are all mild compared to those New England winters. Oh and believe me, I have driven mine every day for the past five years. If it starts in the morning then it gets driven. I put 12k miles on my car last year. I drove from North Carolina to Massachusetts and I drove up and down the blue ridge parkway. I guess what I'm saying is that if I lived up there now and my heater still worked then hell yeah I would drive it. What's the worst that could happen? I break something? Ok....I will just replace it and drive on!

I can't lie about winter this year. The day before new years I drove down to the beach with a two seater Kayak tied to the top of my car. The water was a little cold being that the outside temp was a cool 78 degrees.

Last edited by musnicki; 01-02-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:05 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

After all the work I went through of replacing metal from what salt, leaky windows, cowls, etc. and winters did to our '65 coupe I wouldn't even think of driving it in that mess again and seeing that happen again.

That is what newer cars are made for,let them take the brunt of it, a 35+ year old car deserves some rest from the elements of that nature. My cars are far from museum pieces, but I'll keep the Mustangs inside during the winter thanks.
Lynn

Quick Reply: Winter storage -- why?