Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

65 steering box upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Default 65 steering box upgrade

Need some advice. Have A 65 with many mods. Installing a new 302 EFI and want to upgrade my steering. Looked at rack and pinion then ran across Lee Mfg in CA that blueprints boxes. From the forums, mostly Chevy, the end result is very close to rack and pinion and a fraction of cost. Problem is I have trouble getting a response from them so I started looking at Borgeson and some other options. Any advice. Best bang for the buck. As far as suspension I have Maier Racing sfc's, X member, Bilstein shocks, and Wilwood disc on all 4. Thanks
Old 02-25-2012, 01:57 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

what about a new flaming river box? i have my stock box with no power steering i can turn the wheel with 2-3 fingers
Old 02-26-2012, 08:46 AM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
what about a new flaming river box? i have my stock box with no power steering i can turn the wheel with 2-3 fingers
Good suggestion. I will check it out. What ratio do you have?
Old 02-27-2012, 02:33 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

no idea...whatever stock ratio with power steering is...i just removed all the parts for the p/s system
Old 02-27-2012, 06:07 PM
chockostang
2nd Gear Member

Install a new Argentina Box, Use Both hands, Grunt hard to get it turned.

The Effert to change from the stock manual 5 turn to the "new-Better" 4 turn steering box is totally untrue, the 4 turn turns harded.

Simple gears, gear ratios, No one can deny this.

If going from a Factory PS car (A 4 Turn Box), change the box to a 5 turn box. 65 66 HCC AT Box, 67 SMB A Box--68 69 70 SMB D Box, it will turn much easier.

Dan @ Chockostang
Old 02-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chockostang
Install a new Argentina Box, Use Both hands, Grunt hard to get it turned.

The Effert to change from the stock manual 5 turn to the "new-Better" 4 turn steering box is totally untrue, the 4 turn turns harded.

Simple gears, gear ratios, No one can deny this.

If going from a Factory PS car (A 4 Turn Box), change the box to a 5 turn box. 65 66 HCC AT Box, 67 SMB A Box--68 69 70 SMB D Box, it will turn much easier.

Dan @ Chockostang
Good point.I hope you were joking about the Argentina box and it being so hard to turn. I really don't mind my original manual box except is is very loose and feels like it wants to jerk in a hard turn. This is the only part of the steering I have not replaced. 17' wheels, Maier Racing sfc's and X-member, Bilstein shocks, and all new tie rods. What is a 65 or 66 HCC AT Box? Thanks.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:30 AM
chockostang
2nd Gear Member

The HCC AT BOX is a 65 66 5 turn Manual steering box. If your Mustang has stock manual steering, it is a HCC AT Box, unless it's a GT, which is a HCC AX 4 turn.

Yes-Yes, the new 4 turn boxes ARE HARDER to turn than the stock 5 turn box. To my knowledge, none of the new boxes are 5 turn.

People get it all messed up, thinking the 4 turn is easier, just the oposite.

5 turn is easier.

Dan @ Chockostang
Old 02-28-2012, 03:27 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chockostang
The HCC AT BOX is a 65 66 5 turn Manual steering box. If your Mustang has stock manual steering, it is a HCC AT Box, unless it's a GT, which is a HCC AX 4 turn.

Yes-Yes, the new 4 turn boxes ARE HARDER to turn than the stock 5 turn box. To my knowledge, none of the new boxes are 5 turn.

People get it all messed up, thinking the 4 turn is easier, just the oposite.

5 turn is easier.

Dan @ Chockostang
Thanks much for the info.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:33 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dennis Marks
Need some advice. Have A 65 with many mods. Installing a new 302 EFI and want to upgrade my steering. Looked at rack and pinion then ran across Lee Mfg in CA that blueprints boxes. From the forums, mostly Chevy, the end result is very close to rack and pinion and a fraction of cost. Problem is I have trouble getting a response from them so I started looking at Borgeson and some other options. Any advice. Best bang for the buck. As far as suspension I have Maier Racing sfc's, X member, Bilstein shocks, and Wilwood disc on all 4. Thanks
I have an 808 steering box built by Tommy Lee in my Jeep. It is obviously built for different results, but it is a nice piece and works great. I don't remember what I paid several years ago, but it was not cheap.

Have you considered a Borgeson PS conversion? FWIW, I'm using the stock power steering with the stock 5.0L Mustang box in my EFI equipped '65. I wouldn't mistake it for R&P, but it does work well.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gothand
I have an 808 steering box built by Tommy Lee in my Jeep. It is obviously built for different results, but it is a nice piece and works great. I don't remember what I paid several years ago, but it was not cheap.

Have you considered a Borgeson PS conversion? FWIW, I'm using the stock power steering with the stock 5.0L Mustang box in my EFI equipped '65. I wouldn't mistake it for R&P, but it does work well.
First, I would like to say you have a beautiful car. When I started my project 5 years ago my wife said she did not like fastbacks for me to get a coupe. I love fastbacks. Now after mine is about 95% complete and she has looked at many Mustang pictures she discovered she did not like the fastbacks built after 1970 and she really likes the older ones. WOMEN! Got to love them. Anyway, you have a great looking car. I guess Tommy Lee is Lee Power Steering. A blueprinted box is from $300-$350 if they use my box. I really do not mind my manual steering but it is sloppy scary when cornering hard. It has a distinct "jerk" in it that makes me hold my breath at times and all the other parts are new. On a recent trip of less than 100 miles my steering wheel moved 180 degrees from where it was when I left. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Dennis Marks; 02-29-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Quick Reply: 65 steering box upgrade