Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Another Horn problem (Non Grant wheel)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 11:08 AM
csmnlm

Default Another Horn problem (Non Grant wheel)

I'm helping my brother inlaw out with his 65 Mustang. We are having a problem getting the horn to work. I've pulled the steering wheel off and jumped the 2 wires from behind the wheel and the horn works. When the steering wheel is installed the horn contacts do not come into contact with the wheel. I've tried putting the wheel on with a 3/8 inpact gun but I don't want to force things. It just seem like the wheel needs to go on further there is about an 1/8 inch gap between the wheel and the column with the nut tight. Am I missing a part?
Old 02-25-2012, 12:22 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

With the wheel in place, pop off the horn assembly and cross the wires from the horn assembly. If the horn still doesn't work then:

There are two springs that touch a metal disk behind your steering wheel plate. The springs are embeded within your turn signal assembly. Make sure that those two springs are present and that they didn't melt in half due to an over load. I took two springs from a ball point pen and they worked fine. Clean off the metal disc of all debre. You'll see that it's plastic coated with two bands of copper, it kind of looks like Saturns rings. There is a ring of plastic that ensures that the two copper rings don't touch, the rings are suppose to touch the ball point pen springs, coming from the blinker assembly. Refer to the picture below. The wires to your horn button come off of that disk. If you have horn power from the wires coming into the colum but not at the horn button then it's most likely these springs. If you're like me, then you probably already figured it out by the time I wrote all of this.

Send me a pm with your phone number and I can call you and talk you through it, kinda hard to write it all out.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:58 PM
csmnlm

This is the gap i was talking about. The wires coming out of the steering column do not make contact with the steering wheel ring at all.

You can see the 2 wires with the springs coming out ofthe left of the steering column

This is what the back side of the wheel looks like.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:25 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

Oh I see.....I guess make sure that there isn't any obstructions and tap it in with a rubber mallet....
Old 02-25-2012, 09:30 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Ive heard that you can loosen the bracket under the dash that holds the column in place and wiggle the column forward some.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:16 PM
csmnlm

Originally Posted by 1slow67
Ive heard that you can loosen the bracket under the dash that holds the column in place and wiggle the column forward some.
This worked. I grabbed a hold of the red part of the column and pulled. (with the column mount bracket removed) The outer case "red part" of the column slid on the steering shaft bring the horn contacts into contact with the steering wheel contacts. The horn now works! Thank you very much for the help guys!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:54 PM
Yellow Magic

I am having a similar problem. Out of the blue, the horn on my 66 mustang would beep as I was driving and making slight turns to the left-thought it was cute at first-but the problem got worse and those beeps were happening all the time. After looking at some solutions-sounded like the easiest thing was to pick up a new wheel and horn ring from mustang unlimited. However, after I installed the new wheel, the horn didn't work? Figured I blew a fuse or something but that was not the case-when I put back the old steering wheel-same problem-so the horn must be getting power. How is this possible-it seems like there is no power going through the new steering wheel-this should not be this hard-newbie in NJ.