Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Needs your guys thoughts about trading my RV for 3 Mustang Projects 65 & 66 FB & 66CP

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 01:32 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default Needs your guys thoughts about trading my RV for 3 Mustang Projects 65 & 66 FB & 66CP

Whelp I got a trade offer from a Mustang collector up here, 3 Mustangs for my RV.

I dont know if I will take it though, tell me what you guys think.

Here is the FT thread I started here, its also on Craigslist and other Forums.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/must...axle-7-5l.html

Here is some basic info on the cars.

1965 Mustang Fastback Shell - No Rust or damage - 289 auto car but does not have the engine or trans, needs EVERYTHING and needs suspension redone.

1966 Mustang Fastback Basketcase (Everything there, just in boxes) - No Rust - small body damage from a rear ending, very small wrinkle in the trunk on each corner, cant tell from the outside, easy frame machine fix - still has the good 289 and auto trans, pony interior - near perfect body that needs paint and all seals and rubber and interior - Needs suspension and brakes redone.

1966 Mustang Coupe: Originally a Tahoe Turquoise car, now a baby blue with black interior - No Rust - Old front Pass side impact repaired perfectly, not hard enough to hit the upper frame rail - Running, driving car with average paint done a couple years ago, it looks like a single stage - 200ci from a 1968 and auto trans. - Interior needs to be redone - floor pans, underbody, trunk and engine bay need POR15 to stay rust free - Needs to be cleaned up as far as wiring and underhood goes, really should get all new suspension, brakes - needs all weather seals.

What do you guys think, I dont think its much of a fair trade just to flip but the fastbacks could fetch a lot more money if I invest a little money into them. The 66' Coupe is about a $4,500 - 5,000 dollar car to give you an idea of its condition, its not perfect.

Here is what I think the cars are worth after seeing them, tell me if you think the same from what I have said.

65' FB: $5,000 Great Builder
66' FS: $8,000 Awesome Matching #'s Builder with rarer Blue 2 tone pony interior and folding rear seat
66' CP: $5,000 Good running Classic for anyone to finish up one step at a time. The $5000 is after I detail it, bring the paint out a bit more, get new seat skins for the front and tidy up the engine bay.

Here are some pics of the coupe, sorry for the size but you can get an idea. Its a very straight car with all original metal and perfect quarters and underbody. The fender came from the 66' FS and the 66' FB got another fender later, he couldnt find a fender when it came time to paint the 66' CP.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by NeoTokyo; 03-06-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:42 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't do it your rv is probably worth more,I see maybe 13k for those mustangs the old car market is still soft tell the economy turns around it won't get any better.The coupe needs probably 3k in stuff to make it worth 5k each fastback your probably looking 5k to 8k to get them good enough to sell.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:01 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

I have been basing my values of what things are going for on Craigslist in about a 1000 miles radius of me, I subtract a little from the average for haggling room.

The coupe doesnt need that much at all but the fastbacks are really just solid starting points and will need a lot of assembly work, at least there is no metal work needed.

$12-$14k is what I thought at first, but he is including enough parts for both fastbacks minus the engine and trans for the other. Granted these are all used parts though and are not in perfect shape.

I use Searchtempest when I research prices or am looking for something.
I couldnt find a single 64-66 fastback project for under $5k, and there are some rusty shells out there.

I was kind of tossing an idea around, if I do do this I was thinking of selling the 65' and using the 5k to finish the 66' FB and put a little into the 66' CP, then sell the coupe and buy what my wife wants, a 68' Coupe.

I dunno thought. Prices are soft and most of these cars have been for sale for a long time, $5k may be the going price but to sell it quickly may not happen at $5k.

Ugh, I wish I could just get a cash offer for the RV. LOL

Oh I got offered a 1989 Corvette with 129,xxx miles for my RV. I thought "Sure, I will give you my rig that I am asking $25k for in trade for your $4000 dollar vette." I gave him a break and said, vette + $15k, but they never got back to me. oh well. heh
Old 03-06-2012, 04:04 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

He was telling me that if he sold the cars for cash that he would want $10k alone for the 66' FB because he had everything for it, it just needed to be put back together and painted.

Its not THAT bad of a basketcase though, all body panels are on the car, just needs the trim put back on and about half of the interior put back together. Otherwise its a fairly straight forward restore that only requires parts, paint and time. Of course the most expensive part of its restoration will be in the Paint and POR15.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:37 PM
GT350R Klone
2nd Gear Member

Hey Neo, Fellow Sacramenten here. I think you are a little low on your FB prices and a little high on your coupe. I think if you took all the FB pieces and at least reassembled them, to where they look like complete starting points for restoration and marketed them well, I think you are good in the $7-9K range for the FB's. 6 cyl plain jane coupes just don't seem to bring any $ and I think you are closer to $3K on that one.

Some work on your part to move, prep, advertise, sell the cars....and I think you could bring in $18K, plus or minus a grand or two....IMO
Old 03-07-2012, 12:13 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

If your willing to sit on them for a few years you might get some good money out of the fastbacks,The market here is flooded with project cars the nice stuff that is 15k up which is worth it sits on the market.If i had to do it i would keep one fastback for me fix up the other one and coupe the best i can to see a profit.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:40 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Don't think I'd do it. Keep the RV for car shows and buy one good Stang.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:49 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

All good stuff to know.
Coupe straight 6 prices are pretty poor right now, but I wont need to sell it right away because the wife would like to drive it around.

67 evil eleanor, I would if I had the money but I dont have enough to keep the RV and buy a nice Mustang.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:39 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Or see if you can trade the rv for one good mustang thats worth trading.