Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Rear fenders rubbing

Old 03-20-2012, 10:11 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear fenders rubbing

I am still trying to find a solution to keep my rear tires from rubbing the lip on the fender without having to roll my fenders since the paint is new. I have ground off some and it helped but did not stop the problem. I currently have a new set of Eaton +1 rear springs and new Maier Racing Bilstein shocks. My rear tires still rubs when I hit a bump hard. Have 17 wheels. Does anyone know of anyone who makes a longer bump stop for the rear of my 65 or is it not feasible to think of this as a solution? Thanks,
Old 03-21-2012, 12:55 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

youre either gonna have to roll or try different tire sizes/backspacings have you tried dodgestangs site? www.dodgestang.com he has a huge wheel fitment guide...
Old 03-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
youre either gonna have to roll or try different tire sizes/backspacings have you tried dodgestangs site? www.dodgestang.com he has a huge wheel fitment guide...
This has been a problem since I bought the wheels and tires from Newstalgia. I have talked to them several times and was told they had done my combo over 1000 times and never a problem. I could probably get maybe 1/4" inch more back spacing but not much more. The only thing I can figure is I have an new prototype rear end (housing included) and have 12 1/4" Wilwood disks on all 4's. Even the new +1 leafs or Bilsteins didn't fix the problem. I only have 3 1/2" travel between the fender lip and tire sidewall where it rubs. I found some 4 1/2" bump stops today that would stop the travel but question the ride.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:36 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

All you need is a heat gun to warm up the paint to make it more flexible and less likely to crack. Then something to roll the fenders, like a wood baseball bat.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:49 AM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1slow67
All you need is a heat gun to warm up the paint to make it more flexible and less likely to crack. Then something to roll the fenders, like a wood baseball bat.
That's what I keep hearing, but after what I paid for the paint job it scares the H... out of me. Thanks

Last edited by Dennis Marks; 03-22-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:01 AM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dennis Marks
This has been a problem since I bought the wheels and tires from Newstalgia. I have talked to them several times and was told they had done my combo over 1000 times and never a problem. I could probably get maybe 1/4" inch more back spacing but not much more. The only thing I can figure is I have an new prototype rear end (housing included) and have 12 1/4" Wilwood disks on all 4's. Even the new +1 leafs or Bilsteins didn't fix the problem. I only have 3 1/2" travel between the fender lip and tire sidewall where it rubs. I found some 4 1/2" bump stops today that would stop the travel but question the ride.
Looked at the charts on Dodgestang and although he did not show my BFG's, he shows 4.75" bs. I only have 4.5 as recommended by Newstalgia. Is this something that can be done at a local shop?

Last edited by Dennis Marks; 03-23-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:33 PM
JamesW

May sound odd...but consider having your rear end narrowed by 1". May be cheaper than buying new wheels/tires.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:41 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JamesW
May sound odd...but consider having your rear end narrowed by 1". May be cheaper than buying new wheels/tires.
I think I can get by with a different size tire on the rear. I still would like to know why I just cannot add 4" bump stops. That would still give me 3 1/2" travel. All I can get is that won't work. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:08 PM
GT350R Klone
2nd Gear Member

Check Jegs. They have a page of bump stops. I did the same to solve rear rubbing tires on a cobra kit car I had.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT350R Klone
Check Jegs. They have a page of bump stops. I did the same to solve rear rubbing tires on a cobra kit car I had.
I found a lot of them that looks very usable. Did this cause you any problems? I have been told by several this is NOT an option as it does not fix the problem, can cause possible rear hop under heavy load, and they will quickly wear out and go even farther down on the tire and possibly cause a blow out. i would like to hear from you since you have done this. This is a quick, easy, and inexpensive way to fix it. I will look at what Jegs has. I just bought a new radiator, electric fan, and shroud from them. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear fenders rubbing