Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech) > Classic Mustang General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
Iunderstang!

Vehicle: 1967 Ford Mustang Coupe Deluxe Pkg.
Default Engine mount troubles

I bought a pair of engine mounts for my 67 289 Code C. They are from Car Quest, part 31-2342. The vulcanized rubber type. Exactly the same as the broken ones replaced, same dimensions, shape, angles, hole locations and all. I have no doubt they should fit. Me and my son got one installed and bolted down OK, but the other (driver side) is not lining up properly at the bottom horizontal bolt (the long one). The two bolts into the block have been installed ok. It's almost there, but not quite enough. We tried tilting the engine here and there, loosening and tightening here and there (including the other mount and tranny mount). We decided to run the engine to see if it helped (the vibration, gravity...), placed it in "drive" with the brake on, etc, but still does not line-up. I'm out of ideas. What else can I do? (before I let a pro mechanic do it...and charge me $150.00 to do it!).
Thanks for any suggestions.
Ivan
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
1967 Coupe Deluxe Package (vinyl roof, ribbed tail light panel, hood turn signal lights, dual-tone seats, Styled Steel wheels, center and roof consoles, P/S, A/C. V8 (289 2B C4). Restored to close to original in 1996.
Iunderstang! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1967, Ford, Mustang Fastback
James Musnicki
Send a message via AIM to musnicki

I ran into this issue four or five years ago and someone took the time to explain to me the "why." Forgive me because I am on my iPhone in the airport in Laos (story for another time) but I don't think that the make mounts for a 67 or 68 with a 289. I bought the same ones from auto zone and the motor wouldn't line up by like 1/2 an inch. Something to do with the mount to the frame of the car as well. You'll have to get a new set of those as well and then the motor mounts and frame mounts will line up properly. Or you could just return those and drop $200 on some Ron Morris motor mounts that adjust. He sent mine out in 2007 the day before Christmas as he was closing up his shop heading out for vacation. Good man.

James
musnicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Iunderstang!

I bought a thinner bolt (5/16th in) yesterday and went right though ok. That's how close it is from fitting right. I will try to crank the engine and run it for a few minutes again to see if it falls properly and the holes line up so that the larger original bolt slides through like it should. If I have to drive the car aaround a little I'll try that too. I have no doubt these mounts fit OK. It is just that I don't have the right tools (or strength) to wigle the block to make it all fit.
1967 Coupe Deluxe Package (vinyl roof, ribbed tail light panel, hood turn signal lights, dual-tone seats, Styled Steel wheels, center and roof consoles, P/S, A/C. V8 (289 2B C4). Restored to close to original in 1996.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 Ford Mustang

I tried new brackets and mounts with no luck either. I have RMP mounts. They are very nice and work great.

tx65coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
GT350R Klone
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback

Pics? If the motor mounts are identical, including the bolts, then it is not a mount issue, rather a fitting issue. Perhaps the aged rubber gives a better angle for bolt.

I'm assuming you don't have an engine hoist to lift the motor, loosen all the mounts and slowly lower the motor and start tightening the bolts, which is the way I do it when it is a tight fit.

Another option is to enlarge the holes to give you a few more degrees of freedom, if that would make a difference.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
Iunderstang!

Right. I don't have a hoist, although I could buy it cheap (1-Ton, $180.00) at the local Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-c...ane-93840.html) I'm sure I'll use it again and again...

Since I used the thinner bolt I've put about 20-30 miles in the car with no problems. The engine purrs and very little vibration. Of course I want to install the original bolt. But the holes are not aligning properly. I'll do it later when I have more time. I will definitely have to enlarge the holes of the bracket a little mote than about 1/8". That's how close it is. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1999 GT, 1965 coupe

Check your newer car magazines, they have a $99 coupon in them for that exact same hoist. I just got one last week and saved $80.
Lynn

'99 GT automatic
CDC Shaker scoop, K&N Filter
MAC cat back
Max Speed 1 ˝” Lowering springs
KYB GR2 shocks and struts
Cobra front brakes

'65 Mustang coupe in progress
http://mustangforums.com/forum/class...s-of-pics.html
LynnBob Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:57 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
angle, engine, engine mounts, foxbody, gt, installed, loose, loosening, motor, mount, mounts, mustang, sitting, tighten, tilting, vibration