Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

The Coupe!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Most states no longer require the front plate. I've been pulled over a dozen and a half times by cops who simply wanted to look a the car. I mentioned the front plate to most of hem and they usually replied they didn't care on the older classics. It could be used as an additional fine or reason to stop but the driver would have had to already been up to something wrong.

I had pretty much decided on just paying any fines and leaving it off the front. Thankfully I never had it be an issue.

There in CA who knows. I'd imagine it would be pretty much the same unless it's something statewide they watch for. I'd still pay the fine though.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:25 AM
bwkelley76
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys,

CA gives "fix-it tickets" and makes you correct the problem. Since my plates are the same color as the car for the most part and braggin rights being old/original black and yellow plates, Im definitely going to leave the front plate on.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:42 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adrenolin

There in CA who knows.
I already said they do (from first hand personal experience, my man)...my neighbor is an Oakland, CA police officer...he is the one who helped me place the license plate in the front, and fixed my ticket...lol.

No fines, it's a fix it ticket. I suppose you will eventually get a fine if you keep ignoring the warnings.

And it all really depends on the individual cop...some are cool and don't trip on it...but some are strictly by the book and will pull you over and hand you a citation.

Last edited by Galactusz; 10-05-2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:44 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bwkelley76
Thanks guys,

CA gives "fix-it tickets" and makes you correct the problem. Since my plates are the same color as the car for the most part and braggin rights being old/original black and yellow plates, Im definitely going to leave the front plate on.
Mine are black and yellow as well...the coolest looking plates in the entire nation, lol.

I was thinking on personalizing them...but was told I would lose the retro black and yellow, so I said good-bye to the thought and idea of having personalized plates, no thanks, I'll keep my old school ones, lol.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:08 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

If you're going to leave the front bumper stripe less (as you have done the back) definitely get rid of the stripes that show above the bumper. The back looks great without stripes, and I think the front can to, but not as it stands right now.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:50 PM
bwkelley76
3rd Gear Member

Haven't changed the front or sides yet, it's growing on me like it is so I'll probably leave it at least for a while. I definitely have other things to deal with so I'll revisit the front later.

Currently dialing in the front steering and suspension. I changed the steering wheel, power steering control valve, and have been playing with steering box adjustments.

I'm also chasing a nasty vibration at freeway speeds, possibly driveline and/or tailshaft bushing. It's definitely speed related, not RPM. I hung a wrench on some things and did some inspecting, etc. The rear u-joint caps were not as tight as I prefer but not completely loose, so not sure if that was it or not. ...havent' test-driven it yet to verify.

Here is a picture before and after of the steering wheel I installed.

It's just one that I had lying around, definitely better than the GARGANTUAN stock wheel.

Looks pretty decent so I'll probably leave it. The difference in handling with just the smaller wheel diameter is AMAZING.

BEFORE

Name:  IMAG1487.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  131.0 KB

AFTER

Name:  IMAG15121.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  107.9 KB
Old 10-07-2012, 05:43 AM
bwkelley76
3rd Gear Member

Nice night time pic of the car.

Name:  556293_533378083344416_1161020052_n1.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  130.0 KB
Old 10-10-2012, 02:44 AM
bwkelley76
3rd Gear Member

...Having an all steel driveshaft made. The original "tube-in-tube" rubber shaft has got to go! ...I thought about doing aluminum but I really don't need it and don't want to spend the cash at the moment.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:06 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Love your car! Really turned out great. I'd try some black paper on the front bumper to see how it would look striped. The back looks awesome.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:20 PM
bwkelley76
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by White05GT
Love your car! Really turned out great. I'd try some black paper on the front bumper to see how it would look striped. The back looks awesome.
Thanks! I've done just that actually and I wasn't sold on it at the time. I took some pics of the "mock" stripes on the bumper and I do plan to revisit the pics later on to see if my mind changes.

I think I realized why I like the stripes the way they are in the front. The stripes on the lower valance kindof look like the stock bumperettes, and the black center gives a good background for the black and yellow plates.

Last edited by bwkelley76; 10-14-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: The Coupe!