Search



Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech) > Classic Mustang General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
crazyhorse416
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 1971 Ford Mustang Mach1
Location: Maine
Posts: 8
Default How much power is this engine making in my fathers 1973 mach1?

specs: '69 351w block stock bottom end besides the JE flat top pistons, 1971 351c h.o 4v closed chamber ported heads with crane cams valve springs, split keepers, and steel spring retainers, Manley race stainless 2.19 intake 1.71 exhaust valves, compression around 11:1 or more, 1969 351w 8.152" pushrods, 1.6 comp magnum roller rockers, hydraulic flat tappet and lifter kit H-288-2 crane cam Duration 288/292 Lift .528/.536 powerband: 2,500-5,500rpm, 1 5/8'' 3'' col. hooker headers, B&A ford street boss 351w manifold to fit the cleveland heads, mallory unilite and at last a 750cfm Holley double pumper carb. Car is currently running off of straight pipes with no crossover pipe, has a c6 tranny with 10'' B&M 2500 stall, 9'' detroit locker with 3.25 gears.
Does anybody have opinions on how much this street beast is putting out
I am saying around 400+hp leave comments thank you!
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
crazyhorse416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location:
Posts: 8,162
Default

Go get it dynoed and fine out is the only real way of knowing.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
ceswert
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Vehicle: 07 Shelby SS
Location: CA
Posts: 69
Default

V8 351 ci Q code (Cobra Jet) 266 hp
V8 351 h code 144 hp
V8 302 f code 171 hp
V6 250 ci code? 89 hp
Believe all are hp at fly wheel
Check VIN# for engine code
These ar hp ratings appear in several '73 Mach 1 specs
Like it was pointed out above, a dyno will show the true hp
ceswert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
merc64
1st Gear Member

 
merc64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2008 Grabber Orange GT
Location: Metro-Atlanta
Posts: 88
Default

Just curious, why did you go with the cleveland heads?

Last edited by merc64; 07-13-2012 at 04:52 PM.
merc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member
 
LynnBob Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1999 GT, 1965 coupe
Location: PA
Posts: 2,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceswert View Post
V8 351 ci Q code (Cobra Jet) 266 hp
V8 351 h code 144 hp
V8 302 f code 171 hp
V6 250 ci code? 89 hp
Believe all are hp at fly wheel
Check VIN# for engine code
These ar hp ratings appear in several '73 Mach 1 specs
Like it was pointed out above, a dyno will show the true hp
There was no V6's just I6's.
Lynn
__________________

'99 GT automatic
CDC Shaker scoop, K&N Filter
MAC cat back
Max Speed 1 ˝” Lowering springs
KYB GR2 shocks and struts
Cobra front brakes

'65 Mustang coupe in progress
http://mustangforums.com/forum/class...s-of-pics.html
LynnBob Mustang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member
 
LynnBob Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1999 GT, 1965 coupe
Location: PA
Posts: 2,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc64 View Post
Just curious, why did you go with the cleveland heads?
Probably because Cleveland heads breath better.
A Boss 302 is basically give or take a regular 302 with 351 Cleveland 4V heads, it is more involved then that, but the basic idea.
Lynn
__________________

'99 GT automatic
CDC Shaker scoop, K&N Filter
MAC cat back
Max Speed 1 ˝” Lowering springs
KYB GR2 shocks and struts
Cobra front brakes

'65 Mustang coupe in progress
http://mustangforums.com/forum/class...s-of-pics.html
LynnBob Mustang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
ceswert
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Vehicle: 07 Shelby SS
Location: CA
Posts: 69
Default

Thanks for the correction on V6!
ceswert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
crazyhorse416
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 1971 Ford Mustang Mach1
Location: Maine
Posts: 8
Default

The cleveland heads definitely breathe better because of the big valves and what made it more better was that they are closed chambered for higher compression, that's why they been chose.
crazyhorse416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
merc64
1st Gear Member

 
merc64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2008 Grabber Orange GT
Location: Metro-Atlanta
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse416 View Post
The cleveland heads definitely breathe better because of the big valves and what made it more better was that they are closed chambered for higher compression, that's why they been chose.
I'm very familiar with the head design was just curious why you went with the 4v heads which generally don't make good power/torque unless at high rpm without ALOT of work going into them. Was just wondering why you didn't go with aftermarket windsor aluminum heads but hey as long as your happy that's all that matters. Now, lets see a pic of the car.
merc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

 
69mach1377's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 69 Mach1
Location: ABQ, NM, USA
Posts: 2,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse416 View Post
specs: '69 351w block stock bottom end besides the JE flat top pistons, 1971 351c h.o 4v closed chamber ported heads with crane cams valve springs, split keepers, and steel spring retainers, Manley race stainless 2.19 intake 1.71 exhaust valves, compression around 11:1 or more, 1969 351w 8.152" pushrods, 1.6 comp magnum roller rockers, hydraulic flat tappet and lifter kit H-288-2 crane cam Duration 288/292 Lift .528/.536 powerband: 2,500-5,500rpm, 1 5/8'' 3'' col. hooker headers, B&A ford street boss 351w manifold to fit the cleveland heads, mallory unilite and at last a 750cfm Holley double pumper carb. Car is currently running off of straight pipes with no crossover pipe, has a c6 tranny with 10'' B&M 2500 stall, 9'' detroit locker with 3.25 gears.
Does anybody have opinions on how much this street beast is putting out
I am saying around 400+hp leave comments thank you!
I think your 400+ hp estimate is in the ball park, based on my clevor's dyno2000 guestimate of 418 hp and 435 torque...
Mine is a 377 with port/polish 2V open chamber heads, 2.08/1.71 valves, CR=10:1 with dish pistons, 1.7 roller rockers, comp cam w/.510/.550 lift, rhoads lifters, 1-5/8" 3" col. hedman headers, street boss 351 manifold, MSD ignition, holley 750 vac sec carb.
I went 2V since I live at 5000 feet and could use more velocity than 4V heads. I've heard of using port plates to increase low end torque on the 4Vs.
__________________
69Mach1 - warmed up 395W and Gforce T5 with hydraulic clutch, 3.50:1 posi, rack&pinion/tilt, 17x8/235s (2003) Mach1 Rims front & 17x9/275s rear, all MSD, Holley 750, custom paint, Shelby drop, Hotwheels scale is 1 to 1.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v618/danaranda/69stang
69mach1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 AM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup