Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Engine Conversion

Old 11-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Josh Reynolds

Default Engine Conversion

Has anyone seen the engine running gear and axles from the 2005-10 BMW M5 in a Mustang Fastback/would it fit as i think its a good conversion for a Mustang Fastback and it mix 2 of my fav cars.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

This would be interesting. I have not seen it, but it sounds cool.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:51 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

I share your love of BMWs and Mustangs so the idea of making a mustang-bodied M5 sounds great as long as you have the skills and resources. Which Fastback do you have in mind?

That v10 is a big engine-long and wide. At 500 hp and 5000 lb gross weight, the suspension and running gear will not be exactly petite. To get the running gear to fit, you might easily find yourself reworking the bottom of the car from front to rear. You might want to check BimmerForums.com to find out what is required to do a conversion.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:16 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I have to ask why when the money it will take could build the fastback faster and better handling then a m5.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:47 AM
Josh Reynolds

It was just a thought as there are loads of tunings for that engine (g power :P) and a semi-auto paddle shift gear box maybe use different axles etc cos it would be a pain to mod the underside of a mustang and i don't really know but I'm sure someone makes an excellent running gear for a mustang with good handling and decent brakes etc. And on the money front i wouldn't care id be getting an awesome looking fastback that goes like the clappers and sounds as nice as a M5. Plus i have found loads of written of M5's with the engine and gear box it excellent nick.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:53 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Not trying to sound rude but a m5 has the exhaust tone of a civic.What a mustang should sound like
and that engine can be copied for about 5 grand plus 3 grand for a trans to handle it.Handling and brakes comes down to to your wallet and skill bolt on stuff cost more then weld in.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:55 AM
Josh Reynolds

Nar that V10 after a tuning from g power with twin belt driven superchargers and a custom exhaust sounds HOT! V10's sounds better than V8's anyway in my opinion.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:41 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I found a video of one still sounds like a civic to me.What's the price for their twin blowers tho?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:35 AM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
I found a video of one still sounds like a civic to me.What's the price for their twin blowers tho?
I have to defend the sound of this engine. I have a friend with an 850 that has the BMW V 12 in it and it sounds awesome I can't imagine that the V 10:
with sound anything but great! This is not the classic American v8 muscle car and it won't sound like one but I think the conversion concept is very interesting.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:19 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I don't think the engine will fit the engine bay a v10 is long.The bmw trans is big so cutting up the trans tunnel and part of the floor would have to be done.The track width on the m5 is probably wider so shorten everything up with out making it handle and drive funny will be another huge job too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Conversion