Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Best place to buy Classic Automotive Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 12:03 AM
Iconic.Motive

Default Best place to buy Classic Automotive Paint?

I've searched and got no luck out of it.

I'm building/restoring a 1973 Ford Fastback Mustang that had the original color of Medium Aqua, which I was told is rare. Anybody know of a quality classic paint place that can give me the exact (or extremely close) to the original Medium Aqua paint? I'm all ears.

I'm looking to get a show quality finish like this:

Old 01-12-2013, 02:37 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

If it was me i would find a old ford paint chip book with your color in it.Take that to a good painter and have the color mixed,Any big body shop should be able to mix paint on site.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Iconic.Motive

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
If it was me i would find a old ford paint chip book with your color in it.Take that to a good painter and have the color mixed,Any big body shop should be able to mix paint on site.
That is true - I was wondering if there is a company that makes classic paint only.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:01 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Not that i know of most just make paint for everything.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:38 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by Iconic.Motive
That is true - I was wondering if there is a company that makes classic paint only.

well if you wanted it exact youd need old school enamel paint...but id just go with a nice base coat clear job...also since youre spending money on doing the paint job make sure to go ahead and buy the better paint like chromabase from dupont or deltron and matching clear dont buy nason or shopline etc...youll get better life out of the more expensive paint
Old 01-15-2013, 01:40 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The enamel won't have the deep like a mirror shine of a clear coat.It depends a lot on how you want the car to be done.A 100 point show car will be like the day it rolled out of the factory with some flaws.A really nice driver / show car you can tighten up the panel gaps and have modern paint that shines better.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Iconic.Motive

Not that i know of most just make paint for everything.
Gotcha.

Originally Posted by rmodel65
well if you wanted it exact youd need old school enamel paint...but id just go with a nice base coat clear job...also since youre spending money on doing the paint job make sure to go ahead and buy the better paint like chromabase from dupont or deltron and matching clear dont buy nason or shopline etc...youll get better life out of the more expensive paint
Yeah I figured that would be the only way to get a classic paint job. I plan on doing base and clear coat job anyway. I don't want to spend too much on paint and clear - I just need a quality paint and clear coat that will give me good results and a decent lifespan if that makes sense.

The enamel won't have the deep like a mirror shine of a clear coat.It depends a lot on how you want the car to be done.A 100 point show car will be like the day it rolled out of the factory with some flaws.A really nice driver / show car you can tighten up the panel gaps and have modern paint that shines better.
Good point about the enamel. This car can be used as a show car but I'm not restoring/building for that purpose. I just want to get good and clean quality paint job on the Fastback.

To all, thanks for the great advices so far - you guys have been great! Keep 'em coming if you guys want to keep talking about it.

Last edited by Iconic.Motive; 01-15-2013 at 01:03 PM.