Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Took out my original 289 from my 64 1/2, and installing a 1995 306 in its place

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 02:36 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Default Took out my original 289 from my 64 1/2, and installing a 1995 306 in its place

Don't worry fellas, I will clean and wrap up my 289...and place it in the basement for safe keeping.

It will need a full rebuild down the line...but for now, I got a great deal on a 306 (a 302 bored .030" over) with Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads from a decommissioned 1995 GT/Saleen clone...my bud and I checked it running...pretty solid...it's being disassembled and cleaned...I got it for a steal. The previous owner did supply documentation of its recent 302-306 upgrade...he also informed me that he had problems passing smog with all the upgrades he made...no worries, I have an oldie, I don't need no stinking smog permission, lol.

My question...

I know the 64 1/2 D code came with a black painted engine and gold valve covers and gold air cleaner.

But since the 306 I'm putting is obviously not original to the car...and I'm not going for the original look, mine is slightly restomoded...

Is it OK by you guys if I paint the 306 with Ford blue...and instead of the gold bling...add a Cobra package instead?

I want my engine bay to look something like this...

Now...way down the road...I might change back to my old 289 (once rebuilt)...and will change the look to its more original state such as this one...

This move sliced my costs in half...which I like, lol.

BTW, my Mustang will be painted Redfire pearl.

Perhaps black engine with Cobra valve covers and air cleaners? That would look sinister, Dart Vadish, lol.

I do care what my fellow Stang buds have to say about this though...and it would be cool if I can get your blessing instead of being chastised...seriously, gulp, lol.

Here's my Flickr album on the early engine swap...a lot of work to do before I placed the 306 into the engine bay...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1632971...7632186349223/

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Hector

P.S. I have dual exhaust Magnaflows...and will bypass headers...and go for HiPo manifolds...I recently had them ceramic-coated in black...they look great.

Last edited by Galactusz; 02-09-2013 at 03:03 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:52 AM
120mm
2nd Gear Member

I checked out your page and the project looks great! Honestly, I love the fact that you are doing what you want with this. If my opinion means anything, I think the Cobra package looks nice, and your ideas for accenting it would be great.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Your opinion does matter, that's why I started this thread, my friend.

Thank you very much for your response, you alone are giving me reason to go ahead with blue engine with the Cobra goodies...at least I know my original will be there on the side for the future.

Thanks again!
Old 02-09-2013, 04:23 PM
120mm
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Galactusz
Your opinion does matter, that's why I started this thread, my friend.

Thank you very much for your response, you alone are giving me reason to go ahead with blue engine with the Cobra goodies...at least I know my original will be there on the side for the future.

Thanks again!
You're welcome. FWIW. The great thing about old Mustangs is that they are not anywhere near rare, and will never be, due to the huge popularity and after market support. that means you can't really screw them up by personalizing them. I'm building mine to be stark and straightforward functional; but I'm making a statement about myself through my car.

Like Bill Staines once said; "All God's Critters Got a Place in the Choir." Have fun with your car.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

You are making so much sense...you are so right on the non-rarity...originality or restomod...doesn't matter with these little old Stangs.

I had ordered a black-colored Summit Racing HEI distributor.

The picture I provided of the Cobra dressing has a black distributor.

I'm wondering if I exchange it for a blue-colored distributor...it will match the blue engine...and pop up even more.

Thoughts on that?
Old 02-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Are you going with a non emblems look?

I got rid of all the emblems except for the running pony. the FORD lettering on the hood, the words Mustang under the running pony on the fenders, the 289 emblem, and the rear quarter panel trims are gone, I wanted a more smooth look.

I have tons of other pictures showing the car slowly coming around, have fixed a lot of stuff, including the cowl vent, windows, floor panels, and bought lots of stuff like suspension, leaf springs, interior stuff, insulation, front disc brakes, steering pump, even an aftermarket A/C system. The body work is almost done, and will proceed with paint soon.

Last edited by Galactusz; 02-09-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:38 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Nice, That's the same engine bay look I went for. Looks slick. Keep the black distributor. My friend has a blue one one, and its a bit of an eyesore.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 02-10-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:28 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Yeah, I'm looking at the Cobra dressed up engine bay...and the black distributor does click with the rest of the components, I think you are right...I'll pass on the blue one then, lol.

Hey, got pics of your engine???

Anyway, I'm ordering some parts to finish up my engine...once they get here, I'll post some more pics.

Thanks guys!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:53 AM
120mm
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Galactusz
Are you going with a non emblems look?

I got rid of all the emblems except for the running pony. the FORD lettering on the hood, the words Mustang under the running pony on the fenders, the 289 emblem, and the rear quarter panel trims are gone, I wanted a more smooth look.

I have tons of other pictures showing the car slowly coming around, have fixed a lot of stuff, including the cowl vent, windows, floor panels, and bought lots of stuff like suspension, leaf springs, interior stuff, insulation, front disc brakes, steering pump, even an aftermarket A/C system. The body work is almost done, and will proceed with paint soon.
Well, I'm starting out with a nearly perfect body, absolutely no options I-6 convertible. No emblems to worry about, really.

Everything on the exterior is perfect except the chrome rockers. They have succumbed to mechanical and dissimilar metal corrosion and need to be refinished at a minimum. I do not like chrome rockers, Sam I am; I am thinking of making them black undercoating, frankly.

I agree that the blue distros not looking very nice.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Looks like your ride is coming along, I like your minimalist approach.

I picture you in a all black Mustang.

Am I far off?

Quick Reply: Took out my original 289 from my 64 1/2, and installing a 1995 306 in its place