Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

69 Mach 1 with 40k miles

Old 05-07-2013, 01:28 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

That is sweet! I really love the color. I wouldn't modify it much if any.

As far as the carb goes. I don't think its a waste to upgrade it to a 4v. I think it could potentially get better fuel economy under normal driving conditions if the carb isn't too big and the primaries are smaller than the 2v's. Then you have the secondaries for when you romp on it.

We used to have a 1985 F150 5.8 HO, which had a factory 4v Holley. It would run circles around my friend's truck that had a factory 2v. They were bone stock.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 05-07-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:52 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
We used to have a 1985 F150 5.8 HO, which had a factory 4v Holley. It would run circles around my friend's truck that had a factory 2v. They were bone stock.
I happen to have a 1986 5.8 HO 4v intake and carb for sale if anyone is interested...
Old 05-07-2013, 04:19 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustyMach1
Hey everyone,

Here are some mods that I have floating around in my head:
Either patching the radiator or replacing with a 3 row brass or aluminum
Electronic ignition
4 barrel carb
Power front disc brakes
Front disk brakes are almost required if you will drive it a bit.
Electronic ignition also.
Try fixing the radiator first.
4 brl carb does need an intake manifold and would benefit from a better cam, but is not a requirement for just a few more hp.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:10 PM
MustyMach1

Thanks for the input guys, guess ill start with removing the radiator this weekend
Old 05-13-2013, 11:37 AM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

I've had mine for seven years and I have driven it every day to work since buying it. I got so bold as to you trade out my other car four years ago and make the Mustang my only car.

Like previously stated here; swap out to more reliable cooling and braking. Save all of your old parts in case you want to sell the car in its original form. Look at a head light upgrade and possibly some LED brake lights. The old school lights suck, I didn't realize that until I had to follow a friends 67' Mustang in a cruise one night....I was like wtf with the brake lights. You're spot on with a new fuel and ignition system, Malory 6AL is a good upgrade as well as going with a Holley 670 Street Avenger. Get one with the electronic choke and you should be good. Be ready for some of the other parts to brake, ie water pump and fuel pump failure. Make sure that you have acurate gauges to measure your oil pressure and water temp. An electronic fan is also a good upgrade.

Just don't Frankenstein the hell out of your original car though, guys at car shows won't let you live it down. Plus you don't get your money back. Original is worth more. My car was in an accident 20 years ago and it was just a big mess when I got it. Rusted floor, bad alignment etc. I put in coil over suspension front and back as well as a TKO 5 speed. I went above and beyond for my car but I didn't have an original nice car to start with.

James
Old 05-13-2013, 11:40 AM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

Oh and one more thing.

You're car is fu*kin hot! Omg....I love green.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:02 PM
MustyMach1

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
I ended up going with US radiators. I got a high flow 2 core. Seems to be working great, doesnt go much over half heat on a hot day.

Check it out...

Old 09-18-2013, 09:00 AM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Beautiful car..

Your a lucky guy to get something so nice with a personal story behind it." My grandpas car"..

I would leave it for now. Just get it safe and reliable. Enjoy it and get to "know" it.

All cars are different and you will have to learn how it likes to be driven. Then you can slowly "Mod" it if you wish. Some people never touch a thing after driving it for a bit .

Others, like me, just can't keep them stock
Old 09-18-2013, 10:12 AM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

That is one stunning Mach.......I'm so jealous lol. One of my dream cars.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:12 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

Like everyone else I have a regular 69 sportroof mustang that is nowhere near original. The suggestions I would make is definitely do the disc brake swap if you're driving around crowded streets.

Get a AAA membership just in case something happens (It will pay for itself the first time you use it). Drive it like everyone says and enjoy it.

IF you decide you want to drive it more on long weekend trips you could always look at an AOD or a Gear Vendors setup. I plan to do the Long Haul with the Hot Rod Power Tour in mine when I get it back together with my brother in his Shelby (Newer one) but then again like most mine was not original when I got it.

Beautiful car and the best part it has a family history. I have a classic truck that my stepfather bought new sitting in my garage that I love. Even though it's almost original I plan on changing out the transmission for an AOD. Then again it's not a 69 Mach1.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 69 Mach 1 with 40k miles