Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

1968 Convertable Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 05:20 PM
HammockDriver

Default 1968 Convertable Buying Advice

I am thinking about buying a 1968 Mustang convertible (3 Speed manual transmission).* I have talked the seller down to 12,500 but I would appreciate some feedback on what others thought of that price point with what work the car needs.* I took my dad and friend with me and we combed over it for serious rust issues (checked in the common problem areas, cowl vents, trunk, gas cap, wheel wells, rocker panels, etc) and there didn't seem to be any but it does have several things that aren't working/need to be fixed.

Brakes -* The brakes were incredibly 'soft,' to get any stopping power you had to press the pedal completely down.* I had my dad drive it to get a second opinion and he said they should have been more responsive (had more stopping power). The car also pulls to the left when you stop sometimes from what Ive read this is a somewhat common problem on drum brakes.* Estimating 1.5k to upgrade to disc brakes via these CJPP kits -Front:*http://www.cjponyparts.com/ssbc-fron...-1969/p/AW132/
Rear:*http://www.cjponyparts.com/ssbc-stan...973/p/A1112-V/

Or something from http://www.discbrakeswap.com/

And then getting some used American Racing wheels off of Craigslist

Paint/minor dents - Estimating 1-1.5k here.* the paint is old and worn and it really just needs fresh paint and will look significantly better.

Front seats - Estimating 1k here.* Seams are torn and brand new seats would probably go a long way but seat covers suffice in the interim. Estimating 1k here (at most)

Carpet - there is an orange spot on the carpet but the seller claims its new and its been garaged for the 23 years she has owned it.

Other minor things - needs a new steering wheel and shifter, the two tiny windows that roll down from the back seat (not sure what to call those) go up and down but you've got to give them a little 'manual' help by either pulling them up or pushing them down with your hand.

One last thing that I am not sure of - on the back window of the convertible top (both sides) you can slide your hand into the inside of the car.* Should I be able to do that?

Pictures - http://imgur.com/a/3ATAW
more - http://hd3000.imgur.com/all/

To sum it up is 12.5 too much? Any thoughts from an expert, I'm pretty new to all of this and I'm trying to learn as much as possible as quickly as I can.

I think I covered everything but apologies in advance if I didn't or messed something up.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:07 PM
120mm
2nd Gear Member

The big price maker/breaker is engine. I-6 or V-8?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:32 PM
HammockDriver

Can't believe I forgot that. It's a 289 V8.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Seems about 3-4k too high, IMHO.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:12 PM
HammockDriver

You mind if I ask why you think it should be priced around 8.5-9.5?
Old 06-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Because I'm not in love with the car.

None of this is meant to be offensive, please take it with a grain of salt.

The color is nothing special, and the paint scheme with the hood stripes isn't very flattering on this color/body style.

The interior is bordering on shot. Carpet needs replaced. Upholstery needs done. Unless you think you're capable of doing this yourself (which isn't difficult, btw) then you're looking at some cash there.

Unless it's a super well equipped 67-68 vert, in mint condition, it won't bring the money you're looking to put into it.

If it's exactly what you want, and you love the color and everything, then buy it. If not, you're going to spend a LOT of money making this car right, and making it what you want.

Just my $.02. It looks solid. No disputing that. I'm just not a fan of the color combo.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:50 PM
HammockDriver

You didn't offend me, I appreciate the honest feedback. I haven't pulled the trigger yet partly because the seller referred to it as an 'investment,' Partly because last Saturday claimed the brakes were 'fine' then Sunday (after I walked away Saturday) called back to renegotiate and admitted the brakes 'weren't highway worthy'. The flip flop makes me wonder what else isn't like she says but shes just not saying anything.

So I have another question. I have assumed about 1k to upgrade brakes, 1k for the interior, 1k for paint and another 500-1000 for miscellaneous stuff, which going from 12.5 would get me to 16-17 in total cost. Is 17 too much for all of that? am I underestimating?

Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:29 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

17k buys you a pretty nice convertible, without the time and effort involved. Keep your eyes peeled and be patient for the right car.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:29 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Waffles
17k buys you a pretty nice convertible, without the time and effort involved. Keep your eyes peeled and be patient for the right car.
I know of a 65 convertible, fully optioned car. MINT. Totally restored, that'll be sold for $21-$22k. It is MINT.