Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

What's The Current Value Trend

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 10:10 AM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

Cool What's The Current Value Trend

What's the market saying about the value of keeping a Mustang as original as possible? I would assume that the more 'exotic' your car is, the better it would be to keep it as original as possible. But what about us poor souls who have Mustangs that are not in that class, but only have the smaller engines like 200, 289? I have a 68 convertible and the production numbers for it only total about 10% of the total Mustangs made in 68. Does that make it a hard to find car? An 'exotic' car? Or were convertibles just not that popular in 68?
Old 07-22-2013, 03:41 PM
120mm
2nd Gear Member

Values aren't back to pre-2008, but they are edging back up, I think.

I don't think a car would make a good investment anyway. If you subtract the costs of maintenance, including the cost of having a nice place to keep it, I don't think many people come out ahead.

I kept an all-original '67 I-6 convertible under 30k miles since 1976 and when I saw its market value, I decided it was more value to me driving it around, having fun, than in "preserving its value".

Where I like mustangs, is that you can drive and mod the crap out of them, and not really see real depreciation, unless you total it. Fix it up, use it up, fix it up again, is my new-found motto. Parts are available and relatively inexpensive.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:30 PM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

I have more invested than its value. I did a poll on here one time and it seems that the vast majority of owners fall into that category. My car is not restored, but it is a well kept original. As far as speed is concerned, what's under the hood don't change the speed limit. Anyway, I agree that it should be enjoyed - not wrapped in a cocoon, and that's what I do. Drive on !
Old 07-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

It really comes down to whether or not the value of the dollar declines faster than the value of an investment.

With that said, you don't keep the plastic on your wife to save her for the next husband.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:28 PM
toybreaker
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coupe
With that said, you don't keep the plastic on your wife to save her for the next husband.
That there is some sage advice!
Old 07-23-2013, 07:10 AM
Boogie's_AutoRama
1st Gear Member

I crossed the don't-worry about-keeping-it-original-bridge many moons ago and never looked back.

Like many others here I wanted to enjoy driving it more than trying to preserve it's historical value.
Most of my mods/upgrades are with Ford parts though. If I found some new improved Ford parts that were a direct bolt on swap it went on my Mustang.
It helped that my Dad owned a salvage yard and had access to beau coup parts. The list up stock parts upgrades I've done would be long. (may start making a list and adding it to my signature)
The only aftermarket part I can think of is the electric fan on the radiator.

Anyhoo, if you were to have a rare VIN Mustang I would say try to restore it to original specs.
IMHO a run of the mill car should be built to drive using the most modern technology available.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:52 AM
LCC
4th Gear Member

My car is all original....

If I could see the future, I would be rich. It's becoming a different world for cars. The younger generation doesn't care about "original" cars. They are growing up in the fast and furious age. So the people that are looking for an original car are looking for a more concourse original. Somthing that most of us are not capable of doing. Remember that collectors are people with expendable money. I know a couple of those guys and they don't care for a car they made 200,000 of. What they want is 1 of 100 made. Do what you want, original or modified, it's your car. You can't make it any more worthless than it already has been. It can only go up..
Old 07-23-2013, 04:01 PM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

Very true!
Old 07-23-2013, 07:07 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Other than all of the the sheet metal, glass, fold down rear seat and inside rear view mirror there isn't much left on my car that is original.

Most are factory FoMoCo pieces, just not original to the car or even 1967 in many cases.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:06 PM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

Well, I guess the lesson is to be happy with what I have!

Quick Reply: What's The Current Value Trend