Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

new to the "classic" world of Mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 05:22 AM
Helotech

Default new to the "classic" world of Mustangs

Hey guys,

just picked up a project car for the wife, she's always wanted a '66 mustang so we started looking around for one. we finally found a viable candidate in the form of a 6 cyl, 3 speed manual car. it does have some rust issues but the "bones" of the car are solid so that's a plus. this will be a full on resto-mod. pretty much stripped down to parade rest and rebuilt, new fuel and brake lines, new tank, new suspension components, etc, etc.

I'm letting her make most of the calls on how this will be built but I will retain the decisions with reqard to safety and drivability.

here is a list of what she wants:

small V-8 (maybe fuel injected)
auto tranny
A/C
5 Lug wheels
power steering
disk brakes

she wants to keep the exterior and interior looking stock (for the most part).

I know everyone will say it's better to start with a V-8 car but in our area it's hard enough to find a decent 6 cyl. much less a V-8 car.

I'll be replacing both rear quarters due to the previous owner attempting to "fix" them and doing it wrong, I'll also be replacing the tail light panel and trunk lid, then probably door skins as well. notice I didn't mention the floor pans or any structural parts, that's because they are pristine.

question 1: I'm thinking about picking up a nice 4.6 and an auto from a modern car (along with the harness and computer) and transplanting them into this car. is this doable and what should I look out for?

question 2: since I'm going to replace all the suspension components anyway, I'm assuming I can just buy new parts for a 5 lug car and bolt them into the body, am I on the right path?

question 3: can I do the same thing for the power steering or would it be better to transplant a system from a different kind of car into the stang body??

question 4: I think I'll have to replace the rear end to get the 5 lug setup or can I just replace the axles and rebuild the center section?? if replacement, what should I look for as a transplant organ??

that should be enough to keep you thinking for a while.

thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:24 AM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

1. You will need a mustang II style front suspension for the 4.6.
2. You could do that. If you don't go power steering you will also need v8 steering components.
3.They make kits to convert to power steering.
4. You will need a new rear end and driveshaft.

Last edited by 1slow67; 10-19-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

question 1: I'm thinking about picking up a nice 4.6 and an auto from a modern car (along with the harness and computer) and transplanting them into this car. is this doable and what should I look out for?
Why? 4.6 is a grossly underpowered motor. Instead of spending the money on this, and making it work, I'd go to like a 347 stroker, and go EFI with it. Will cost less and product more power. Still be reliable, thanks to the EFI

question 2: since I'm going to replace all the suspension components anyway, I'm assuming I can just buy new parts for a 5 lug car and bolt them into the body, am I on the right path?
If you buy an 8" or 9" rear end, you'll pick up the 5 lug rear, and if you buy a disc brake swap for up front, (www.discbrakeswap.com) you'll also get 5 lug up front. Also, don't forget you need heavier front coils to accommodate the bigger heavier motor than what the car came with.

question 3: can I do the same thing for the power steering or would it be better to transplant a system from a different kind of car into the stang body??
Buy a power steering conversion kit, or a Borgeson setup. I bought a complete 1965 Power steering setup off of ebay for like $180 shipped. Was an original setup, but came with everything I'd needed.

question 4: I think I'll have to replace the rear end to get the 5 lug setup or can I just replace the axles and rebuild the center section?? if replacement, what should I look for as a transplant organ??
8" or 9" rear. Your existing will not work.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:06 PM
LMNRancher

Only advise would be one project at a time unless you plan on not driving it for quite some time. Seems we always get tied up or money runs out for awhile and then it sits in the garage and you don't have anything to drive.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:12 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

Coyote motor swap :P ? It's a small V8.... sorta