Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

1980 302 install in 67 mustang questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 02:35 PM
dstyd311

Default 1980 302 install in 67 mustang questions.

I have a crate 302 that I'm trying to install in a 67 mustang. I have drilled my hole in the timing cover for oil tube and blocked off the hole in the block. I am wondering what's the best, easiest on the headaches way to go. Stay with the v belt system or serpentine. do I have to get the old style timing cover and water pump to stay with the v belt? My current water pump inlet is on the driver side. do they sell alternator and power steering brackets to keep this water pump and timing cover? and if I go with serpentine what all do I need to buy? hanks I really appreciate the help.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:51 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

I would say the easiest thing to do is keep the V belts, but I wouldn't.

I'd go with the serpentine setup as its more efficient, more durable, easier to work on, and quieter. That's why all the OEMs switched to them years ago. That is a no brainier in my opinion. It also lets you install the much more powerful 130A 3G alternator as nearly a bolt on item if you buy a later model Fox setup. Oh, and although this is lofty and you may never get there, it also paves the way for practically every super charger kit.

The most straight forward way to swap do would be to buy an entire (junk) donor motor for all of the brackets and buy a setup that suits your needs (I'd find a way to make the Fox setup work). At my local junkyards the crap engine pile motors are about $50-$100/ea depending on what they are. Obviously I would buy a new water pump. Just make sure you get the proper rotation direction and length for the accessory drive you purchase. Just about any parts house should be able to get you setup as long as you know what vehicle the motor came out of. You may also have a mechanical fan issue depending on how far the fan is from the radiator. Again, simple answer is an E-Fan (good thing you've got that 130A alternator now).

Last edited by Maxwelhse; 06-26-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:41 AM
dstyd311

Ok. I forgot to mention, I know my block is a 1980 by casting numbers. My water pump inlet is on the driver side. My crank pulley is just a 3 hole. Does this need changed? I am not sure what my engine came out of which really sucks. They guy I bought the mustang and engine from gave me a ton of 289 brackets and engine parts but none work with my engine. so..

When I look for this donor engine. Is there certain years or things I need to pay attention to? Does it need to be of a certain car? does wiring need upgraded to do a serpentine setup?

And if I went with the vbelts to get it going until I find everything I need, What do I do? IM guessing change my timing cover to older style and older style water pump, then my 289 ALT and power steering brackets should work?

I have seen kits you can buy to do the serpentine conversion but they are pricey.
Hey thanks again for the help. much appreciated