Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Sound insulation - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 07:53 AM
Seadog
1st Gear Member

Default Sound insulation - what to do?

Working on my 65 coupe. It doesn't have any sound deadening under the back seat or on the divider that separates the trunk and passenger compartments. Also, nothing for the quarter windows or on the wheel wells.

What recommendations do you? As always, my budget is an issue but I want to get the best results possible.

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2015, 02:14 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

sounddeadenershowdown.com lots of good info and pricing.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:25 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

You guys are going to goof on me but many, many moons ago when I first got the fastback I had the back seat out for some reason or other and noticed that there was no sound deadening under the seat.

I didn't have a pot to pee in or a window to throw it out of at the time so being the broke fool I was I used...

roofing shingles.

Just laid them across the floor under the seat. While unorthodox and ghetto as hell it did help quite a bit deadening the sound.

I had forgotten I had even done that until I pulled the back seat out a few years ago and busted out laughing. But hey, it works. To a point.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:21 AM
Seadog
1st Gear Member

Default American Ingenuity

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
You guys are going to goof on me but many, many moons ago when I first got the fastback I had the back seat out for some reason or other and noticed that there was no sound deadening under the seat.

I didn't have a pot to pee in or a window to throw it out of at the time so being the broke fool I was I used...

roofing shingles.

Just laid them across the floor under the seat. While unorthodox and ghetto as hell it did help quite a bit deadening the sound.

I had forgotten I had even done that until I pulled the back seat out a few years ago and busted out laughing. But hey, it works. To a point.
You've got me thinking outside the box, out from under the roof (shingles) so to speak!
Old 07-24-2015, 09:56 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Peel N Seal roofing material is a cheaper alternative to the name brand sound deadeners. I have used it on all my projects and while it doesn't dampen as well as the name brands, it doesn't cost as much either (maybe 15-20 bucks per roll). I use it along with a carpet thermal pad and it makes a huge difference.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:09 AM
MustangsToFear
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
Peel N Seal roofing material is a cheaper alternative to the name brand sound deadeners. I have used it on all my projects and while it doesn't dampen as well as the name brands, it doesn't cost as much either (maybe 15-20 bucks per roll). I use it along with a carpet thermal pad and it makes a huge difference.
Downside, it's asphalt based and stinks to high Heaven on a hot day.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:42 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangsToFear
Downside, it's asphalt based and stinks to high Heaven on a hot day.
I have never smelled in any of my cars or any car that I have done.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:43 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I don't recall smelling any asphalt from my shingles either. But then I don't know that I would have because I was usually overwhelmed with the fumes of raw gas & exhaust
Old 10-01-2015, 03:32 PM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
On all of the corvette forums this is what they talk about using.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:24 PM
GypsyR
1st Gear Member

I've never smelled anything from Peel and Seal either. Only the lightest of odors when installing some of a hot day which dissipated quickly and I haven't smelled it again. Pretty much exactly like the DynaMat I have used too. If it did stink like asphalt it wouldn't bother me much to scrape it all off and try something else. Put some in one of my drivers which sits in the sun year round and have failed to notice a smell there either.
Wait.... Corvette guys like it? Eww eww eww, don't use it! Run away run away!

Quick Reply: Sound insulation - what to do?