Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Everyone's gotta start somewhere.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 07:51 PM
SSRFUZZY
1st Gear Member

Fairly productive day today. I took it easy and stayed inside tinkering this morning making some interior templates and cutting materials for the new colors kick panels, sail panels, and qtr arm rests. Haven't done any sewing on upholstery in quite some time, but since I was supposed to take it easy this weekend I figure why not sit down and do some light weight work.

The boy was out prepping some other areas to be Bedlinered (wheel wells) and getting the front frame rails and engine compartment ready to paint. Hi got them prepped , but we decided to just bedliner the wheel wells tonight and block the body tomorrow then spray all the silver at once. (Hopefully it all gets done tomorrow.

He re we have a couple pics of the boys applying the black bedliner coating to the wheel wells.

All the while he was out prepping for this, I was in the house getting acquainted with the sewing machine and playing with some scraps to see what worked best. Once I figured I had it , I tackled making some templates and patterns to begin stitching pieces together to fit the various panels. I'm no interior man nor care to be, but I do work on my own interior stuff if need be, besides this was light duty work which is pretty close to NO WORK like the Doc wanted this weekend.

We decided to leave the slider area as a painted red surface (which will be done in the shop later) rather than getting the vinyl scuffed every time the slider is pulled or pushed.

French stitched the qtr panel arm rests. Never done this before and wanted to try it, so now was as good a time as ever.

Once the paint is dry tomorrow we'll glue the red vinyl to the panels and see just how good or bad they turn out.

With nothing else to do tonight, I guess we'll clean up and watch a movie.

Till next time.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:27 AM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

Damn, this whole thread/story is awesome! Thank you for sharing and I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

James
Old 02-16-2016, 09:13 AM
SSRFUZZY
1st Gear Member

I'm still stuck in the house as the Chiropractor repairs aren't progressing as quickly as I'd hoped they would. I did sneak out in the shop to glue the few panels up that were made the other night. They're not quite as nice as the stuff I used to create while doing custom van interiors back in the late 70's early 80's but then again I haven't done this in that long either. So with that being said and trying a new stitch, i say they're not turning out too bad, and the price is perfect. Less than $100 so far.

I'm working on a few more pieces the boy dragged in from outback. Some of these have much more complex curves to cypher out so it all fits well together. Sometimes it works right the first time and others have to be done more than once to make it look right. Like they say " if at first you don't succeed, try, try again" If you still can get it call a pro.

Depends on how you look at I guess.

One way: Third times a charm (should work right or you just accept what happens)

Another way: Three strikes and you're out (let someone else do it for you.)

What ever the decision, don't let it stress you out, just go with the flow and have fun with it.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:32 PM
SSRFUZZY
1st Gear Member

Not a big update tonight. These qtr trim armrest pieces are terrible to try and make vinyl to fit over and still look good.. I musta spent almost two day cutting trimming fitting, test stitching, cuttin apart ans re fitting to get these to look at least this good. I took them in the shop this afternoon and decided it was gonna have to do and Glued them on the panels.

I cut fit and prepped the one for the other side before heading off to scouts tonight. Tomorrow I'll tackle making that one after the Chiropractor visit.

Still trying to take it easy, But I just can't be Doing Nothing at all.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:08 PM
SSRFUZZY
1st Gear Member

Hold the presses folks!!!!!!!!!

Although my back still isn't 100% or even 50% I managed to get out in the shop today with the help of my Daughter to block on the Mustang for a while and apply the seam sealer to all the joints seams and crevices. After the boy got home he took over for the the daughter and Dad relaxed for a few minutes until after dinner.

After wards the boy and I went out in the shop to look things over, make any final corrections and mask off whatever wasn't going to get painted, wiped it all down and tacked it off so we could apply the sealer.

We let that set up for a half hour before mixing the Orion Silver from HOK and laying down 5 good coats.

A short while later it was time to make it all shiney. Yeha baby!!!! aint nuttin like a goood Shine!!!

Been a tough road getting this far seeing as how my back up and quit on us the third day in. Even though I pushed myself a little hard today to get this painted, I think it'll be worth it. The car will set tomorrow to cure out while I work on something else for the day and then we plan to install the suspension back in the Mustang on Sunday and drop it back on all fours.

Fingers crossed I didn't over do it and end up in the ER later tonight.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:51 PM
norcal_ryan1966
1st Gear Member

Car is simply gorgeous. Nothing like a good silver paint job to help that pony pop.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:47 PM
SSRFUZZY
1st Gear Member

The silver we chose is gorgeous. We went with the House Of Kolors FBC Orion Silver. It's the fine aluminum metalic instead of the high sparkle coarse metalic. On this ole Pony she looks right at home.

I had other work to do today so the boy decided it was a good time to paint the interior floor pans and let them set over night.

After I finished my other work for the day we set to dropping the Mustang back to the floor level and disassembling the rotissorie.

Now we are ready for installing suspension tomorrow after I finish assembling the other job I painted today.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Pretty soon she'll be Rollin.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:35 PM
SSRFUZZY
1st Gear Member

Since today was Sunday we took it fairly easy (at first), but after lunch we hit it pretty hard for the rest of the day.

The boy and I set the car up to remove it from the rack and get it on jack stands so we could put the suspension in. That all went pretty well

Right up until we needed to install the coil springs. Yeah, hhhmmmmmmm,,, Oh yeah a buddy borrowed the spring compressor 6 months ago and still hasn't brought it back. Phone call ..... No Answer,,,, text and leave a message .... No answer.... Aw Cr@p. Guess we'll put the rear suspension in and install the rattle trap sound deadener till I hear back from my buddy.

That was where I ran out of Rattle trap. Didn't figure I'd have enough for the whole car, but at least I got what I could for now. I have to order another bulk roll anyway for the other jobs I have finishing up, so i'll finish it up then. Only need another 48 sq ft. for the floor, then the doors too.

Finally got the frt suspension together and the car is able to roll steer again.

Couldn't put the strut arms on yet as somebody (who shall remain nameless) who's car this is forgot to prep and paint them the last couple weeks.

Since there was still time left in the day we mounted the doors and lined up the gaps.

The boy was getting excited by now and wanted to see what it looked like with the fenders on too, so he began rounding up all the bolts and clips.

The next thing ya know...

we have fenders on ..

He couldn't find the brackets and bolts for the lower rear of the fenders to mount to, so that part of lining them up will have to wait.

At least it's a rolling and on the ground again so I can move it out and bring in something that'll make money instead of spend it.

Last edited by SSRFUZZY; 02-21-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:38 AM
rwcstang
2nd Gear Member

looking good!
Old 02-26-2016, 08:14 PM
SSRFUZZY
1st Gear Member

Not a lot of progress to report this week. We needed to move cars around in the shop and tent area so i could get some other payin work in to cover what we spent the past couple weeks. Got the other stuff finished up today and when the boy got home from school he prepped the misc pieces for paint.

Only a few things left to paint now. The hood, Frt and Rr valances and a set of mirrors.

He plans on installing the painless wire set this weekend. We'll see how he does with that while the other parts cure for a day or two.

Quick Reply: Everyone's gotta start somewhere.....