Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

My new 66 coupe-pulls left

Old 10-04-2015, 01:47 PM
seanwillis0826

Default My new 66 coupe-pulls left

I just got a 66 mustang coupe the other day and when I drive it, it pulls to the left pretty badly, could this be because of the drum brakes? (When I have to brake hard it jerks left hard as well)

I am new so hello everybody.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:00 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums. Yes it could be that your drums are adjusted too loose or too tight causing one to lock up sooner that the other. But the fact that it pulls even when not braking (unless one side is dragging that bad) seems to be an issue with alignment, or tires or front steering (worn ball joints / tie rod ends). Jack up the front of the car and check for play. Just grab a wheel and try to move it up and down and left and right. Do both sides, if there's significant play then try to see what's loose / worn out.

Last edited by Mustangdemon67; 10-04-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:03 PM
seanwillis0826

Originally Posted by Mustangdemon67
Welcome to the forums. Yes it could be that your drums are adjusted too loose or too tight causing one to lock up sooner that the other. But the fact that it pulls even when not braking seems to be an issue with alignment, or tires or front steering (worn ball joint / tie rod ends). Jack up the front of the car and check for play. Just grab a wheel and try to move it up and down and left and right. Do both sides, if there's significant play then try to see what's loose / worn out.

I'm thinking steering because the steering is very loose, I can move the wheel about 3 inches maybe 4 before it even does anything. I've read to adjust the steering box thing but haven't done that yet. I will check the wheels like you said.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:06 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by seanwillis0826
I'm thinking steering because the steering is very loose, I can move the wheel about 3 inches maybe 4 before it even does anything. I've read to adjust the steering box thing but haven't done that yet. I will check the wheels like you said.
The worm gear in the steering box could be loose as well but check the play in the front wheels first. The brakes are easy to adjust too, you can find a lot of videos on it.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:13 PM
seanwillis0826

The worm gear in the steering box could be loose as well but check the play in the front wheels first. The brakes are easy to adjust too, you can find a lot of videos on it.
Yes I've heard to check the worm gear in the research I've done...what is it haha
Old 10-04-2015, 04:29 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by seanwillis0826
Yes I've heard to check the worm gear in the research I've done...what is it haha

If your looking down from on the top of the steering box you 'll see a nut and the bolt it's on has a slot of an Allen wrench. The Allen bolt is the worm gear and that nut just holds it in place. To adjust it put an Allen wrench in it and loosen the nut but be sure you hold the Allen wrench while loosening the nut. Once the nut is loose you can adjust the Allen bolt (worm gear) then you tighten down the nut again.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:04 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

If your left front drum isn't releasing like it should that will cause it to pull left also.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:56 PM
seanwillis0826

I'm not seeing any videos on adjusting the brakes...do you have a link to one or cam explain it?
Old 10-05-2015, 08:05 PM
seanwillis0826

Found some....should I adjust all of them to be equal?
Old 10-06-2015, 10:38 AM
seanwillis0826

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
If your left front drum isn't releasing like it should that will cause it to pull left also.
How would I fix that? I adjusted the front brakes so they're pretty even on each side but it still jerk to the left a little when braking....also it definitely needs an alignment cause one wheel is about 30 degrees off from the other! Lol. I did the steering box cause nothing else was loose, it helped but need to do it a little more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new 66 coupe-pulls left