Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Tired Exhaust Upgrade

Old 03-25-2017, 04:02 PM
67convertible

Default Tired Exhaust Upgrade

Wanting to get new exhaust system from manifolds back. Still have the original setup on my 67 Mustang Convertible with 289 and Power Steering. Any suggestions on headers or exhaust systems welcome. Don't want cheapest but moderate rumble and quality stuff. My car is pretty much factory with 2 barrel carb and 289 bored slightly. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:18 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Unless you're planning on some significant performance upgrades (heads, cam, etc), hi-po manifolds or shorty headers would probably do you well. JBA shorties are pretty much considered the best in that category, but they're pricey.

One option for exhaust is the factory exhaust system. Done properly it sounds good when you get on the throttle, but doesn't overpower during normal driving.

Aside from that, I'd recommend poking around youtube for exhaust sound clips. There are many different muffler manufacturers, and everyone has their own preference. For standard mufflers, I prefer magnaflow for their even tone. I despise Flowmaster 40's, which sound open and raspy and tend to drone at certain rpms.

I run a pair of Hushpower IIs on my fastback. They're pricey, but they deliver a very unique sound.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:35 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Just before I sold the fastback I ditched the flowmaster setup that I had forever and went with a factory style 2.5" transverse muffler setup.

That, coupled with my JBA shorties (yes, quite pricey) convinced me that was the way I should have gone years ago. At idle, even with a pretty snotty cam, it sounded nice but subdued and under full throttle it had a very nice tone. The best part about it was that it got rid of that God awful highway drone that so many dual exhaust setups have.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:30 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

My 40's drone sooooo bad. I had to upgrade the stereo.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:46 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

That is a solution. If you play Stevie Ray or Waylon loud enough all drones disappear.

Search this Thread