Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-01-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
z3080

Default Valve lash adjustment

I have a 68 Ford 289, VIN code C engine. In my tune up specifications there is a footnote that states "Valve lash-Auto adjustment". What exactly does this mean and how do I properly adjust the valves? I had a set of keepers fall out about a week ago and I suspect a loose adjustment. THANKS
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
z3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:45 PM   #2
65GTin GA
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Valve lash adjustment

A C code engine is going to have hydraulic lifters. Hydraulic lifters will maintain adjustment and clearance once the initial "zero lash" is set. Solid lifters are set to a specified clearance at the valve and that is the clearance you will have (hence the tapping you get with solid lifters - there is no hydrualic "cushion" to maintain the "Auto adjustment' Also part of the reason solids require frequent adjustment, to keep that adjusted critcal tolerance. BAck to the hydraulic lifters - The first thing is to get the cold "zero lash" adjustment right, then most small block Fords call for 1/2 to 3/4 turn on the rocker adjusting nut - the hydrualic lifter will do the rest. Consult any good shop manual for hydraulic lifter/rocker adjustment.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:51 AM   #3
z3080

Cold "zero lash"...Thanks man......now that's another "what's that " question.
z3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:11 AM   #4
65GTin GA
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: z3080

Cold "zero lash"...Thanks man......now that's another "what's that " question.
I replied to you via PM, hope you got it.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
SCHOONER

Hi Guy

I wrote you also about the same problem with adjusting my hydraulic lifters.
Send you an e-mail, including my e-mail for you to contact and e-mail me at length.

THANK YOU
GOD BLESS

a.k.a.
Schooner [8D]
Old 10-08-2006, 06:06 PM   #6
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

99% of stock small-block Fords have a 'torque to spec' on the rocker arms. Only adjustable rockers will have zero-lash + 'X' turns. Basically, the idea is to set the piston in the lifter up to 1/2 way through its travel with the initial adjustment.

"zero-lash" simply means there is no clearance between the rocker and valve stem.

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 65GTin GA

A C code engine is going to have hydraulic lifters. Hydraulic lifters will maintain adjustment and clearance once the initial "zero lash" is set. Solid lifters are set to a specified clearance at the valve and that is the clearance you will have (hence the tapping you get with solid lifters - there is no hydrualic "cushion" to maintain the "Auto adjustment' Also part of the reason solids require frequent adjustment, to keep that adjusted critcal tolerance. BAck to the hydraulic lifters - The first thing is to get the cold "zero lash" adjustment right, then most small block Fords call for 1/2 to 3/4 turn on the rocker adjusting nut - the hydrualic lifter will do the rest. Consult any good shop manual for hydraulic lifter/rocker adjustment.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:23 PM   #7
mike68
1st Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to mike68

an easier way to find zero lash is to tighten the rocker arm intil all the play is gone from the pushrod.... that is if you have adjustable rockers and if you dont you should get some anyways because they are cheap and free up "horse power"
Old 10-08-2006, 11:23 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1966, 1968, 289, 50, adjuster, adjusting, adjustment, arm, initial, lash, lifter, mustang, rocker, solid, valve