Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

bench bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 07:58 PM
acidrain088
2nd Gear Member

Default bench bleeding

is there any advantage to bench bleeding the master cylinder if i just replaced all my breaklines, fittings and master cylinder. im thinking everyhings gotta be filled so it wouldnt matter if i did it or not
Old 03-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: bench bleeding

It will save you a great deal of time while bleeding the brakes. So, don't hesitate. Bench bleed the MC.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:03 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

If you are doing it the old fashioned way, with two people, then yes, bench bleed the master. It will save up to 10 minutes worth of bleeding.

If you use a pressure bleeder or Russell "Speed Bleeders", there is no advantage. In fact it is a disadvantage as it is messy. What they don't tell you is that while you are bleeding the master cylinder it will "squirt" fluid straight up, so be careful and wear goggles.

I'm becoming a real big fan of the "Speed Bleeders". I went from a completely dry new system (4 wheel Cobra disc brake), to fully bled in about 15 minutes start to finish. That included cutting 4 pieces of hose, and running them into 4 empty bottles. I simply opened the speed bleeders half a turn each, filled the reservior, and pumped for about 2 minutes while intermittently re-filling the reservior. Ended up with about 6 ounces total, of waste brake fluid that went into the 4 bottles.
Closed the bleeders and checked the pedal. Nice high and firm! (Isn't that the American Way! )

Good luck,

Scott

Old 03-27-2006, 10:05 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

Thanks for that bit of info. I am gonna be bleeding tomorrow damnit!(good thing)
ORIGINAL: Scott H.

If you are doing it the old fashioned way, with two people, then yes, bench bleed the master. It will save up to 10 minutes worth of bleeding.

If you use a pressure bleeder or Russell "Speed Bleeders", there is no advantage. In fact it is a disadvantage as it is messy. What they don't tell you is that while you are bleeding the master cylinder it will "squirt" fluid straight up, so be careful and wear goggles.

I'm becoming a real big fan of the "Speed Bleeders". I went from a completely dry new system (4 wheel Cobra disc brake), to fully bled in about 15 minutes start to finish. That included cutting 4 pieces of hose, and running them into 4 empty bottles. I simply opened the speed bleeders half a turn each, filled the reservior, and pumped for about 2 minutes while intermittently re-filling the reservior. Ended up with about 6 ounces total, of waste brake fluid that went into the 4 bottles.
Closed the bleeders and checked the pedal. Nice high and firm! (Isn't that the American Way! )

Good luck,

Scott

Old 03-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Scott, give us a link for that bleeder.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:20 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Go to www.summitracing.com and put "Russell Speed Bleeders" in the search tag.
There are a bunch of different sizes so you either need to know your thread sizing, or know what the cylinders are for. It was easy for me, I just ordered up the set for an '04 Cobra.
Also NPD has them available, and on the page shows three different ones for vintage Mustangs in full size to compare.

Good luck guys,

Scott
Old 03-27-2006, 11:18 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Scott H.

Go to www.summitracing.com and put "Russell Speed Bleeders" in the search tag.
There are a bunch of different sizes so you either need to know your thread sizing, or know what the cylinders are for. It was easy for me, I just ordered up the set for an '04 Cobra.
Also NPD has them available, and on the page shows three different ones for vintage Mustangs in full size to compare.

Good luck guys,

Scott
Thankee Scott.