Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

new to all this

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 03:19 AM
import guy

Default new to all this

As you can tell from my name I'm not that knowledged on mustangs, but I've always been a fan of the classic muscle, and am pretty handy in the garage. I am looking at picking up a '66 mustang in the near future from my brohters friend and I was hopeing you guys could help me with some questions. It's an inline 6 w/ 4 on the floor. I'm thinking about doing a swap to a V8, with a few other add-ons. I've read some of the stuff on this site about the swap, like doing a transmission, and rear brake upgrade. I'm wondering, ballpark, how much I'm looking at spending for this stuff. I'm sure I can pick up most of the parts used or reproduction stuff, but I'm trying to budget everything out. Any help for a newbie would be appreciated.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:57 AM
red347
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: new to all this

You might be better off looking for a V8 car instead. The 6 cylinder was built with "cheaper" everything. Suspension, brakes, cooling, smaller axles, (4 lug instead of 5 lug), transmission..I mean everything.
If the body is completely rust free I might consider it (for real cheap). Make sure you look under the carpeting at the floor boards(front and back). Run your hands at the bottoms of the doors. Run water into the cowl cover in front of the windshield and check if water is coming into the car from under the dashboard..lots of stuff to look at. Grab the door handles with the doors open, and lift up...if there is any slop the hinges are shot.

In short lots to consider. What you want to do with the car is the big question.

Ron
Old 03-10-2004, 04:50 PM
import guy

The body is in pretty good condition. The previous owner was the guy's uncle, so it's not too hard to trace the history. I'm looking to make this a dependable, fast car, and it would be my daily driver. Are there any recomendations as to what to do with it since it's the lower-end mustang? I wouldn't be restoring it back to mint stock, something a little more updated (stock body, full stereo, race seats-I don't like those low backs, power). Any help would be great. This board doesn't seem to get too much traffice either, so if there are other places I should go let me know.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:16 PM
red347
2nd Gear Member

There are several forums that are really geared to the older Mustangs. One is the VMF forum located here: http://www.vintage-mustang.com/ There are also many articles available about the swap you are about to make like:
http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/S...onversion.html
Something that would really be different is to build a higher HP 6 cylinder. Here is another 6 cylinder site http://www.thepcshopper.com/clifford...e/archives.htm It might be really awesome to be unique with a high HP 6 banger.
If you have any interest in that got to http://www.fordsix.com/

Make sure you check out all the area's of the car I suggested. It can run into major money if those types of repairs are needed.

Let me know what you think, after you've done some reading....

Ron
Old 03-12-2004, 03:14 AM
bob emmerich
2nd Gear Member

I have to agree with red on this, to change over you need: Engine,motor and frame mounts,front suspension,front steering components,larger spindles,larger rear end,associated wiring,a transmission,etc... It would probably be easier to locate a good V-8 equipped car. A ROUGH ESTIMATE to get everything new and/or repo would be 2-3K.