Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Stuffing a 91 into a 66 - what can I use??

Old 04-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Quartzman

Default Stuffing a 91 into a 66 - what can I use??

Looking for ideas and help - just bought a 91 5.0 LX coupe for my 66 coupe in bare skin...

I plan on using the 5.0, the T5, and as much electronics as makes sense (I'm keeping the old gauges...)

But what about the 8.8?
Is it worth having it shortened for the 66?
The 66 was originally a 200cid 6cyl so the rear is just a 7".

But I am left with a 289 block, a C4 auto, assorted other doodads and obviously a pretty partable 91 (that's now missing the front apron.)

Thoughts? Ideas?

Sorry this post is all over the place - ran out of ridillin...
Old 04-18-2006, 05:38 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Stuffing a 91 into a 66 - what can I use??

the 8.8's are damn strong and furthermore, the 7 really ain't a good idea to use with the 302. you're going to have to modify the gas tank/fuel pump to accomadate the EFI from the 91 (if you're keeping it) and the accelorator will have to be removed and replaced with one out of a 70 i believe. here's a good link to help you with your project and it's a 66 too. http://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/efi/index.html you won't need to follow all of it cause you have the already efi'd motor and everything set to install, but it should help ya out some.

as per the 91 and the other parts, i'd personally sell 'em unless you want to rebuild the 91 too. how much damage is there to the 91? hell, gut the thing and turn it into a pure drag car! have some fun with it since ya got it anyway!
Old 04-18-2006, 05:57 PM
Quartzman

Actually, I tossed the stock gas tank when I stripped the car. It was already banged up so I figured then that I'd get a new tank with a bladder. (Why do I suddenly need to find a urinal?)

Anyhow... I hear the 8.8 is the most efficient rear... but it's too wide for my 66 pony. Know any good sources for customized 8.8s?

Old 04-18-2006, 07:07 PM
whoafrdofdapolce
1st Gear Member

i had the same proublm with my 66 you can eather pay a thousand or so to shorten it or get rims of an 94-06 mustang, the offset compensates the longer rear i put a rear out of a 2000 explorer that came stock with an 8.8 wiht disk brakes and a 3.73 gearing. all i had to do was relocate the leaf spring mounts. you will need adaptors for the frount but there easy to find.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

i haven't gotten that far yet. i'm gonna be getting this rear coilover conv kit (when i can come up with the loot) and get a 9 inch posi. http://totalcontrolproducts.com/rearcoil.html

if by shortening them you mean cutting legnth off the axles, i personally wouldn't do it. time and torque would rip them apart imo. i'm going for big power so i'll go any other route.

btw, how far would they stick out?
Old 04-19-2006, 02:02 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quartzman

Looking for ideas and help - just bought a 91 5.0 LX coupe for my 66 coupe in bare skin...

I plan on using the 5.0, the T5, and as much electronics as makes sense (I'm keeping the old gauges...)

But what about the 8.8?
Is it worth having it shortened for the 66?
The 66 was originally a 200cid 6cyl so the rear is just a 7".

But I am left with a 289 block, a C4 auto, assorted other doodads and obviously a pretty partable 91 (that's now missing the front apron.)

Thoughts? Ideas?

Sorry this post is all over the place - ran out of ridillin...
IMO the 8.8 is a great swap, If you are going to run late model Mustang wheels, you can get the 5 lug axles/drum kit from Ford Motor sport, and it's a pretty easy swap. Here is as much of a write up as I got done, when I stuck one in my '66.
https://mustangforums.com/m_1004901/...tm.htm#1004901

Here it is with some more pictures. I got a little overzealous on tire sizing.
https://mustangforums.com/m_1103243/...tm.htm#1103243

As for the rest of the car. There is a lot of good stuff, so don't get rid of it until there is nothing but metal. You've got everything from EFI to electric door locks, power window switches to beautiful seats, rotors and calipers to master cylinder and power booster. Fuel lines, brake lines, brake hoses, and the little fitting at the rear brake hose (that Ford doesn't make anymore). Drive shaft, light bulbs, carpet to make a nice trunk carpet kit. Man there is so much there, you can rob from it for a long time.

Have fun!
Old 04-19-2006, 02:15 AM
whoafrdofdapolce
1st Gear Member

yea waite on that coil over kit i hear that mustangsplus.com is going to releas a Independent rear suspention setup for the 66 with coil over. i dont kno who makes it yet but i would hold out for that if your gona spend the money. and if your planing on evenchely geting that then dont waist money on your rear now just be carfull not to blow it.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:37 AM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

NPD has that kit now from control freak suspension, myself I don't think its worth the$8999.95
Old 04-19-2006, 11:09 AM
whoafrdofdapolce
1st Gear Member

haha not at all. yea thats a bit steep.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

i figure the mustangs plus rear coilover will be about the same as the total control one (3 to 5K) i'm waiting on that one myself and will compare the two when it comes out. i want to go with whatever is better. i want maximum performance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stuffing a 91 into a 66 - what can I use??