Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help with power brake booster seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 12:30 AM
skiter

Default Help with power brake booster seal

Hey guys, I have a problem. I have a small leak in a power brake booster seal. It's that boot that seals brake booster push rod to firewall on the inside of the cabin. It is cracked so it has a little leak, making hissing sound when engine is running. Everytime I apply the brakes, therefore compressing that boot, the crack is minimized and hiss is going away. I don't think I'm loosing any braking power; at least it doesn't feel like.
The problem I have is that single boot (seal) in nowhere available on its own. I found one for 1964-1966 models, but none for my '68. I think I've checked all sources I know. If anyone know where to get one, please help. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:24 AM
68GEETEE
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Help with power brake booster seal

try www.mpbrakes.com

I have purchased from them before, they seem pretty knowledgeable and have lots of parts in stock for braking systems.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:44 AM
skiter

Default RE: Help with power brake booster seal

Thanks 68 GEETEE. I checked them out, too. Unfortunatelly, they have just what others do: seal for pushrod for 64-66'. None are available for 67 and on...I am begining to think that there is no such thing as replaceable boot for that booster. I guess you just have to replace the entire part...? Maybe someone one how to fix cracked boot? It's got some pressure in it, so it probably would be not easy. I think I'll try good old way of duck tape and super glue, since there is no solution. Thanx for your help!
Old 04-02-2004, 03:09 PM
skiter

Default RE: Help with power brake booster seal ***UPDATE***

I called mpbrakes in CA and a nice guy, Joe, pulled one booster seal from the defective booster. and it's on the way now. I am still convinced that they don't sell them by themselves, the boots for '68 and up. Thanks GEETEE for saving the day!!!
Old 04-02-2004, 07:48 PM
68GEETEE
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Help with power brake booster seal ***UPDATE***

Glad it worked out for you. I used a company here in San Antonio to rebuild my booster last summer. For reference it was San Antonio Brake and Clutch. They were the ones that told me about mpbrakes as i needed a drum brake residual valve and it was obsolete by Ford.