Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

t5 into 64-5 falcon/comet

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

Default t5 into 64-5 falcon/comet

Has anyone here put a t5 into a 64-5 falcon or comet, or know anyone who has? Im looking to put one in my falcon, but from what I have found I need a specially modified trans that moves the shifter forward to clear the seat mounting crossmember. HOWEVER I just found a falcon (ranchero actually) on ebay that has a bench seat and a t5, so I asked him about it and he said it was the BELLHOUSING that was custom, and not the trans. I have looked into this some, and will continue to do more research, but I just thougth Id ask here to get more ideas. Keep in mind that even though these cars share the same platform, the mustang seat crossmember is 8" farther back allowing the shifter to come through the floor without cutting the xmember.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:40 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Default RE: t5 into 64-5 falcon/comet

This has been discussed in another thread a while back. I originally was looking for a '65 Falcon convertible before the '66 Mustang convertible showed up. Did some searching on the Falcon forums and found out it can be done, and it seemed pretty easy. Although I never heard about a modified Bell housing. You'd have to find the right short input shaft as well. That seem's like a lot more work than necessary. They've put these transmission in everything from Chevy's to Jeeps, to Fords. From what I've read you'd need to find a T5 tail shaft housing that has the forward mounted shifter. Not sure about the shift fork bars. IIRC the tail shaft housing they are talking about is from a GM mini-truck.
www.moderndriveline.com can set you up with anything you need. These guys really know there stuff, and have excellent pricing.
The T5z works awesome in the Mustang. Really made the car pleasurable to drive.

You might try a google search, or a search on one of the Falcon forums.

Good luck,
Old 05-14-2006, 02:57 PM
NinjaMatic
1st Gear Member

You'll basically need a new crossmember, mount, bell housing, clutch, flywheel (depending on the motor) slip yoke and various other stuff... I know these links are for mustangs but you can find special bell housings and useful info here:

http://www.restoremustangs.com/T-5-T...ents-1815.html
http://www.mustangsteve.com/cable.html

Should be some of the same stuff. When it comes time for my motor/trans - i'm gonna run into the same issues.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:11 PM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

after some more searching, heres a very helpful site I came up with:
http://xanthe.lunarpages.com/~nkfalc...oration/T5.htm
seems all I need is a tailshaft from an s-10, a crossmember, and clutch cable. maybe theres hope for the t5 swap yet! feel free to keep the info coming, I love seeing what other people have done
Old 05-14-2006, 04:14 PM
NinjaMatic
1st Gear Member

Wow... Modern Driveline has some great stuff! Talk about making your life easy for 3k! I may even go with them instead of doing me own piece by piece. I'd rather have everything guaranteed to work than finding out in the middle of an install i need to order a part, etc. Not bad.