Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

The best Ford Small Block engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 02:42 PM
mn5285

Default The best Ford Small Block engine

I am going to get a 1967 or 1968 Mustang cope and I whuld lake to now what the best Ford Small Block engine whuld be to get. I am look to get 400 hp with high performance parts. also what the best 5 speed Transmission to get.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:54 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Default RE: The best Ford Small Block engine

go with a 351W, a stroker isnt a bad idea. a 408 ci Windsor with good heads makes more power than 400hp.

For a 5 speed I like the TKO500 or TKO600, not much else (5speed) would live with 400ftlbs/400hp.

If you could find a Cleveland with 2V heads, they will make 400 hp easily too 4V heads arent as bad as everyone thinks, as long as you cam it right, but they are harder to find.

Its easier to build a Windsor because they are easier to find. Plus it will fit better in the exhuast area, Cleveland headers are a pain because they are all big tube and they werent installed in Mustangs till 70. So not very many applications for the 67-68.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:59 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

The advantages of the 351W are easy to find parts and clearance issues. The 351 Clevor is a good engine except clearance issues, and oiling issues. If it was my project, I would opt for the W, but if someone gave me a Clevor, it wouldn't make me mad.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

I smell controversy a brewin' here...
Old 05-24-2006, 06:15 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Nah, we've already been through that. Same old same old.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:17 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Soaring

The advantages of the 351W are easy to find parts and clearance issues. The 351 Clevor is a good engine except clearance issues, and oiling issues. If it was my project, I would opt for the W, but if someone gave me a Clevor, it wouldn't make me mad.
the clevor has no oiling issues. The best small for this application is the windsor, simple and cheap to make the desired numbers
Old 05-24-2006, 09:17 PM
mn5285

Thanks for the info. I Think I will go with the 351W and the Victor Jr. Cylinder Heads and what wuld be a gud intake to go whith the Victor Jr. Cylinder Heads. so they cud get up to 430 hp or more. Thanks
Old 05-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: myshifter

ORIGINAL: Soaring

the clevor has no oiling issues. The best small for this application is the windsor, simple and cheap to make the desired numbers
Yes they do have oiling problems. Clevelands have a reputation for oiling problems, but they usually manifest at high RPM. High volume oil pumps are cheap insurance against an early death at any RPM. If you're anticipating a lot of highly angular travel, baffling the oil pan with kits from Moroso, Milodon, or others will help keep the oil pump pick-up from cavitating., and the oil flowing to the bearings where it belongs. Moroso also sells an "Accumulator", which will force an additional quart into the system in the event of a sudden pressure drop. Speaking of oil, go Synthetic. Greater lubricating properties and reduced friction equal "free horsepower". Every little bit helps
Old 05-24-2006, 09:29 PM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

confused here.

so the 351 C came w/ 2V and 4V heads?

the 351W come with either 2v or 4v heads?

and 2v heads are better than 4v heads?

I think I need a Windsor and C lesson. I thought the difference between the two engines was that they both used the same block but just had different heads and either a 2bbl or 4bbl.

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

go with a 351W, a stroker isnt a bad idea. a 408 ci Windsor with good heads makes more power than 400hp.

For a 5 speed I like the TKO500 or TKO600, not much else (5speed) would live with 400ftlbs/400hp.

If you could find a Cleveland with 2V heads, they will make 400 hp easily too 4V heads arent as bad as everyone thinks, as long as you cam it right, but they are harder to find.

Its easier to build a Windsor because they are easier to find. Plus it will fit better in the exhuast area, Cleveland headers are a pain because they are all big tube and they werent installed in Mustangs till 70. So not very many applications for the 67-68.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:39 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

351 C, is better IMO. And no the 2v heads arent better than the 4v heads. Ford stopped production of the Clevland because it cost more to manufacture than the windsor, it took more material, more material = more $$$$. The Clevland also had canted valves which is better for flow.
-P.

Quick Reply: The best Ford Small Block engine