Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1978 Mustang II (Worth it?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 01:56 AM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 1978 Mustang II (Worth it?)

the only thing those cars are good for is parts for a real mustang
Old 05-25-2006, 02:02 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

I wouldnt give $1500 for one, but they arent bad if you can get past the looks. They accept a V8, and parts abound for the suspension. Its used in streetrods extensively.

Ford people look at you like you have a 3rd eye in your forehead, GM people point and laugh. But for a beater they are okay. I have even seen some fast ones, if you can believe that. Restore value isnt much. They had no real performance options and no desireability for anything but a beater.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:29 AM
289FB
2nd Gear Member

I agree 120% with Thumping he hit the nail on the head the only thing that I can add is[sm=badidea.gif]
Old 05-25-2006, 11:57 AM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

Wouldnt you guys think that in like 30 years an all original 78 mustang would have some serious value. They are very "rare"
Old 05-25-2006, 12:49 PM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

Gosh guys, y'all are kinda harsh don't you think ? I'd give my left nut for a nice 78 King Cobra with a 302 and a 4 speed. I'll admit that these cars weren't really well accepted and many of us saw them as the end of an era , BUT .... They're still a Mustang. As far as fast goes, damn skippy they're easily made to be very quick ! I've seen my share of these little lightweight ponies that would dispose of our "purebreds" in short order.

Tyler is right on the money in that these cars are going up in value. Take a gander on ebay at the prices of a nice 74-78 Cobra or King Cobra with a V-8. In fact, a buddy of mine called me this morning about one he found for sale here locally. I'm going to look at it this morning.

Every car has its' niche market and loyal fan base. As I've said before I don't really like spring yellow , I don't like coupes , I don't like 67-70 convertibles , I don't like 6 cylinders of any Mustang vintage ..... BUT it sure as hell doesn't mean that I wouldn't stop to help a Mustang brother on the side of the road with the hood up on a 67 spring yellow convertible with a 6 cylinder. We're all in this boat together guys and if the kid wants to enter our family with a Mustang II , LET HIM !!! Instead we've driven him to look for an F-ing HONDA ???????

JMHO, Dean

[IMG]local://upfiles/26494/F55EAFFD478D4BD1A41D4432F999B84E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-25-2006, 01:03 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

I think that these cars will turn into a very rare collector car.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RSRXION

Gosh guys, y'all are kinda harsh don't you think ? I'd give my left nut for a nice 78 King Cobra with a 302 and a 4 speed. I'll admit that these cars weren't really well accepted and many of us saw them as the end of an era , BUT .... They're still a Mustang. As far as fast goes, damn skippy they're easily made to be very quick ! I've seen my share of these little lightweight ponies that would dispose of our "purebreds" in short order.

Tyler is right on the money in that these cars are going up in value. Take a gander on ebay at the prices of a nice 74-78 Cobra or King Cobra with a V-8. In fact, a buddy of mine called me this morning about one he found for sale here locally. I'm going to look at it this morning.

Every car has its' niche market and loyal fan base. As I've said before I don't really like spring yellow , I don't like coupes , I don't like 67-70 convertibles , I don't like 6 cylinders of any Mustang vintage ..... BUT it sure as hell doesn't mean that I wouldn't stop to help a Mustang brother on the side of the road with the hood up on a 67 spring yellow convertible with a 6 cylinder. We're all in this boat together guys and if the kid wants to enter our family with a Mustang II , LET HIM !!! Instead we've driven him to look for an F-ing HONDA ???????

JMHO, Dean

[IMG]local://upfiles/26494/F55EAFFD478D4BD1A41D4432F999B84E.jpg[/IMG]
well i mean if its gonna come to ricer vs. mustang II....obviously get the mustang II....but i just think everyone was letting him know how much better a 65-73 would be.....if he likes it, he will buy it....people on a web forum should spend his money for him.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:57 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

The value might go up some, but it wont ever be anything spectacular. They arent bad cars to drive, just kinda homely to most people. I dont mind them, but I dont see much mass appeal in them either. Ever notice how some cars are going up in value while others arent and they look the same, are the same year but one is $20k-$40k more? Performance options. A DragPak car is worth more than a 6 cylinder car, right? A 428CJ 4 speed in the same condition will bring more money than a 289 2v auto, dont you agree? Even if the same body style, same color and options other than engines.

Why isnt the Mustang II going to be high value? Well I know you are all Ford guys but take for an example the GM F body. After 73 the Camaro didnt have anything bigger than a 350 and most V8s were 305s. The 350s were slugs in any form and 74 -92 Camaros arent selling for big $$. Then look at the Trans Am and Formula. They had 455ci engines up to 76, and 400ci untill 79 and with 4 speeds. The value on them is skyrocketing compared to the camaros of the same vintage. Its all about the engine, and the 302 2v in the Mustang II just isnt a muscle engine. So the prices will stay low.

Just cuz a car is old and rare doesnt mean its valuable. It has to have something people want. Check the prices on a stone stock restored model T or A prior to 1932, then look and see how much a LS6 454 Chevelle or a 426 Hemi Cuda is selling for and you might get the point..

I do want to add something.. A Mustang II is far better to me as a driver than a Honda is. If you like the car and can afford it, its your choice man. It just isnt a BOSS 429 sittin there ya know?
Old 05-25-2006, 03:18 PM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

realistically i think its got a great basis for a fast sleeper car. who wants to get oned by a homely lil mustang 2? i sure dont, then again, i have a station wagon fetish. I also love weird oddball sleeper cars tho. I dont know what rear end they had, 8.8 maybe? probly 7.5 actually, i dont know. anyway, they have the famed mustang 2 front suspension (duh) and came with 302s, so put in a roller 302 with some gt heads, aod, 8.8, injection, and nobody would know until you leave them in the dust. id say go for it, just dont expect to get much out of it when you sell it.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:21 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

to me....its like mommy mustang had a wild night with an amc gremlin and out popped the mustang II.

Quick Reply: 1978 Mustang II (Worth it?)