Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Color of the engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 01:35 PM
ramorgan

Default Color of the engine compartment

I am in the final stages of having my 65 Mustang GT restored. I need to make some decisions that I would like some feedback on. This car is in really nice shape with little rust. The person who is restoring it has claimed it is the cleanest car he has ever done.

Question 1. I am changing the color from turqoise to Emberglow. Even tho this is a 66 color I just love it. He also wants to paint the underneath the same color and then clear coat it. Thoughts???

Question 2. He also wants to paint the engine compartment Emberglow. I really think I want it black. When he was removing the paint on the complete car he said that under the black was turqoise paint. Years ago... I alwasy looked at cars that were painted black. Could this be something that EVERYONE had repainted.. Or should they really be black.

Interested in your opinions as I really do not know what to do. Also If I don't have the underneight painted the color of the car... should that be black as well. Thank you very much for you advice.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:28 PM
bob emmerich
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Color of the engine compartment

Answers/opinions:
1) If you like the color and are not worried about the paint being original, go for it. As for the undercarriage, if it were me, I would leave it primer and undercoat it.
2)The engine bays were painted a semi-gloss black. Some custom paint work would've had to be done at some point for anything but black to be under there.
3)The factory usually painted the underneath in primer, I've seen red and black used.