Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Practical or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 01:54 AM
Lidojuagon

Default Practical or Not?

I'm new to the Mustang boards so I just wanted to say hi. You may also see me in the neighborhood of jeepforum.com or www.edithantiques.com. I just had a question about the practicality of a 1965 Mustang GT Convertible - not the HIPO. Anyway I was looking for a new car but I have trouble looking at a new car when classic mustangs look so much better. My question is, if I were to just restore my current mustang about how long will it last as an everyday driver - especially compared to like a new mustang. I mean a frame off with a fully restored engine and tranny. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:00 AM
65_2plus2
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Practical or Not?

Wow,
A frame off resto is not cheap. You don't have to do a frame off resto unless of course you live where there is a lot of rust. I live in Arizona so I would not do a frame off resto.
As for how long will it last, think of it this way. How long did the car last when it was new back in 1965. If you take care of it, it will last at least 100,000 miles or 15 +/- years.
The really great thing about classic mustangs is that in 10 years, they will still be worth more than a 2004 mustang would be in 10 years.
Enjoy[sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 04-23-2004, 01:59 PM
bob emmerich
2nd Gear Member

As a guy who has been there, a "frame-off" resto will NOT be practical as a daily driver (especially if you live where it snows)as there's too much money and time involved. If the car has a good body, a re-build of the drivetrain(engine,trans,rear),brakes and steering should be all that's needed. I agree w/2plus2 on the point of taking care of the car. If you're going to be driving it everyday, I would suggest adding front disc brakes and possibly power steering.
The other problem is insurance-most companies will not insure a classic 'Stang for everyday driving because the replacement cost of the parts and/or car is way too high.
Good Luck with your decision.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:48 PM
Lidojuagon

So i probably will not do the frame off thing, but I am gald that they will still last a long time. I think it might last a little longer since you can balance a motor these days. It already has disk brakes, and "armstrong" powersteering.