Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

restoring 66 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 02:20 PM
ricanstang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: restoring 66 mustang

i got a 66 coupe, 289, with a manual 3 speed tranny. i just started working on mine, i dont know what shape yours is in but i was lucky finding mine, it has no rust anywhere so thats great. im having the same issue with one of my blinkers, in one of the mustang magazines i read said that one of the first things you should try is replacing the turn signal mechanism, it controls the turnsignals and it interrupts the brake light so if you r having a big issue with it u should probably try that or you could just go to the mustang monthly website and they have all kinds of articles on restoring. good luck.

meich75, its good to see another north carolinean around here, im not originally from here but ive been stationed here for the past 7 yrs or so. my brother lives up there by raleigh, i think its called cary, i dont know if im spelling it right but its right by raleigh.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:36 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum!!

Let me see if I have this right, are you keeping the 6 cylinder engineor getting rid of the 6?

As far as the wires go there are several options that can completely replace the wiring, from stock replacements to aftermarket kits.

Your options will varied depending on just how stock you want to go back.

You will find the part selections available for your 66 astounding. Classic Mustangs have the advantage of a very strong aftermarket parts industry.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:41 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Welcome! You can get a factory harness (repop) from any of the Mustang parts houses, but they can be expensive. If you need the whole harness, might want to check with Painless or Ron Francis. Still expensive but more flexible.

As JMD said, you can buy practically anything you need for classic Mustangs.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:20 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

WELCOME (i guess, even tho your joined date is really old, this is your first post).

I also have a 66 and have done some work on it. As far as the seats go, there are 4 bolts holding each seat in that you have to access from under the car. There should be 4 holes that line up with the seats and you just have to stick a ratchet in there and get the nuts out. After that, you should be able to lift the seats out.

Good luck!
Old 02-13-2008, 06:13 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ninteen66mustang

WELCOME (i guess, even tho your joined date is really old, this is your first post).

I also have a 66 and have done some work on it. As far as the seats go, there are 4 bolts holding each seat in that you have to access from under the car. There should be 4 holes that line up with the seats and you just have to stick a ratchet in there and get the nuts out. After that, you should be able to lift the seats out.

Good luck!
Wow,,, thread revival from the prehistoric age,,,, I doubt that the OP will be answering .....

Short of forum Administration, no one is here from 2003,,, or 2004 for that matter, I have doubts about 2005.... Valley Firearms might be an 05 member though....
Old 02-13-2008, 06:40 PM
jlp66stang
2nd Gear Member

Ha! I went back to the top to see where I missed the seat question.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:19 PM
ky
America ftw

lol it is from 2003.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:19 PM
ky
America ftw

ORIGINAL: JMD

ORIGINAL: ninteen66mustang

Good luck!
Wow,,, thread revival from the prehistoric age,,,, I doubt that the OP will be answering .....

Short of forum Administration, no one is here from 2003,,, or 2004 for that matter, I have doubts about 2005.... Valley Firearms might be an 05 member though....
we have guys from 04 in the OT.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:48 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: true66gt

we have guys from 04 in the OT.
Admins, mods, and X mods??

I don't think there are any regular posters from 04 posting in the Classic section anyway!

Everyone knows that OT really does not count!! [8D]
Old 02-13-2008, 08:17 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Welcome in 2003!

Quick Reply: restoring 66 mustang