Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Fast and furious tokyo drift

Old 06-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Fast and furious tokyo drift

ORIGINAL: 67Rally

Oh, great. Now we get to hear classic American muscle wind up like sewing machine with Yuban-can exhaust. Puhleaze!

Japan still can't compete with the big boys. Their miserable attempt to break into Top Fuel Funny cars illustrates this. So, instead people try to justify this by going after 40-50 year-old technology with the modern rice-age. That mentality is about as intelligent as comparing a Ford focus to a '68 Corolla. What's the point?

These Too Fast, Too Stupid films serve no purpose.
wow, i didn;t even notice the fartcannon hanging out back there! hey little guy, what are you doing hanging around witht he big boys? don't you know you're gonna get hurt?

there's an intrepid up the street from me with dual fart cans on it that looks cooler than that! the only exhaust this machine needs is 3 inch straight pipes. NO cats NO mufflers, attached to a massively ginormous V8 like a stroked 460 (whatever the final CI-ags would be on that!)

it's a shame enough you see them on the newer mustangs. i kinda feel like jumping off a bridge now. i dunno, maybe it's just me?

EDIT: the important thing is, above all else, it's still a MUSTANG!!!!!! and they can never take that away!
Old 06-14-2006, 02:27 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Don't get me wrong. I am not a devotee of the Skyline, but the RB26Dett engine is 2.6 liter, dual overhead cam, 24 valve, twin turbo charged, and
intercooled producing 276 hp @ 6800rpm, capable of handling over 600 hp without
internal modifications. Can a ford engine produce over 600 hp without enternal mods? Nissan finally got the GTR to where it can be exported to the United States. It will be interesting to see whether or not it is the same GTR as they sell in Japan.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:50 PM
67Rally
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Don't get me wrong. I am not a devotee of the Skyline, but the RB26Dett engine is 2.6 liter, dual overhead cam, 24 valve, twin turbo charged, and
intercooled producing 276 hp @ 6800rpm, capable of handling over 600 hp without
internal modifications. Can a ford engine produce over 600 hp without enternal mods? Nissan finally got the GTR to where it can be exported to the United States. It will be interesting to see whether or not it is the same GTR as they sell in Japan.
Look, Shelby built a 427 Cobra with twin intercoolers boasting over 800hp in the 60s. He gave that car to Bill Cosby (anyone remember the Coz' comedy bit on the Cobra?). How much HP would a twin turbo 4.6l Cobra engine produce?

What are the torque #s for that RB-thing? What is the cost? I can get more HP and torque out of my 289 than that hamste/wheel contraption and I don't have to mortage the homestead in the process.

Screw Nissan, Honda, and Toyota (I do own Honda's btw). I'lll take Ford muscle anyday.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:06 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Oh, me too. I don't own any foreign cars. The point is though, that for such a small engine, the Japanese have managed to produce a lot of horses from it.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:06 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Hey Glen we had an engine like that too.. Buick 3.8L V6 in a GNX.. Anything will make more power by throwin more boost at it. The smaller it is, the more rpm it needs to make power. 276@6800 isnt that impressive, you will need alot of gear to get it moving because there isnt much torque down low. Thats the problem with the tiny engines, you need too much RPM to get the power out. High RPM causes wear and stress on every part in the engine. AN engine built to run 9000 rpm and make 500hp@9000 wont live as long as a 500hp engine that makes its peak at 5500. The lower rpm engine will also need less gear and be alot more tractable on the street.

If your car has to fit some race class with a ci limit, then sure build a small engine. If its on the street or grudge night at the drags, you better bring a big stick.

The mustang with the 6 could do the drifting crap, so they built one with a 430+ ci Windsor. It was built to go sideways so it wouldnt ET very well. The skyline engine was able to get it in the 13's.

Currently in the skunk works here, there are plans for an all aluminum V8 with 425cfm heads that will make 900- 1200hp on pump gas. Sure it wont get great mileage but that isnt the point.

My point is the kids who think these engines and cars are so impressive dont know much about cars, engines, and racing. Sure some guys want to go fast with a small engine or whatever, I can understand that because I like to go fast with Pontiacs and Clevelands when I could do it with a chevy like everyone else, I just prefer my engines over the chevy and anything from across the left pond. If these kids knew how easy it is to get power out of V8s and how cheap it really is, they woudnt be playin around with 2L hondas.

So thier cars are lighter, big deal. I am building a street car that will be around 2400-2600lbs and its gettin that aluminum engine I mentioned earlier. Can you say low 8's or high 7's? Sure the engine will cost me around $12k-$15k to build, but that is about how much that amount of HP will cost for any V8. The body will look stock, and it wont look like a race car. Its gonna be real close to the ultimate sleeper.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:11 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

Oh, me too. I don't own any foreign cars. The point is though, that for such a small engine, the Japanese have managed to produce a lot of horses from it.

FWD for most, and AWD for the skyline

i bet if they had RWD and ONLY RWD in all imports, it would be half the power
Old 06-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Huh? What does AWD or RWD have to do with the power of the engine?
Old 06-14-2006, 03:17 PM
67Rally
2nd Gear Member

The point is though, that for such a small engine, the Japanese have managed to produce a lot of horses from it.
Understood. But why all the hubbub over a 2.6 turbo? Honda makes the 2.0l S2000 engine - normally aspirated - producing 240 hp / 153 ft·lb of torque at 7,500 rpm.

As noted, there is squat for torque in any of these cars. Try getting off the line in that rice-fed '67 Mustang against a 289 2v.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:20 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

i thought since the power doesnt have to travel as far to the rear, FWD cars get mroe power with a smaller engine then do RWD get with a smaller engine. i heard this somewhere or i mightve dreamt it
Old 06-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: atomsk680

i thought since the power doesnt have to travel as far to the rear, FWD cars get mroe power with a smaller engine then do RWD get with a smaller engine. i heard this somewhere or i mightve dreamt it
The Gtr is a rear wheel drive car until the front drive is needed. They have 293 torque lb. ft. at 4400 RPM and go 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. They are quick.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fast and furious tokyo drift