Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Fast and furious tokyo drift

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 01:27 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Fast and furious tokyo drift

ORIGINAL: symbiote

Does this mean i cant do like a drift with my '68 302...surely i can hold one for a couple of seconds!!!
i dont think you can do it in a RWD car. what they were doing was while turning a sharp turn they would pull the handbrake to lock the back 2 wheels while the front 2 wheels kept pulling and since it was a turn or curve the back of the car would swing out cause it was being pulled. so no i dont think you can.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:43 PM
symbiote
2nd Gear Member

a drift is held ONLY if ur car is RWD..see that ways the Rear provides movement whilst steering with the front 2 wheels...so quite literally you are drifting because the back wheels are all over the place...my cousin who drifts with a 240sx says its like doing a power slide on steriods....and he reckons you need to have a RWD
Old 06-17-2006, 01:51 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

well all those mitsubishi's and other imports and the porsche are all FWD, unless they did something to them so they could drift in the movie.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:10 PM
symbiote
2nd Gear Member

that car was a lancer...the amount of mods u chuck in those things at that level u can get a car driving upside!!!!! Porsche's are mostly ALWAYS RWD or AWD...
Old 06-17-2006, 02:15 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: symbiote

that car was a lancer...the amount of mods u chuck in those things at that level u can get a car driving upside!!!!! Porsche's are mostly ALWAYS RWD or AWD...

they wernt ALLL mitsubishi, there was 1 porsche and i dont know n e thing about porsches, and there were about 100 different cars.... so chill out [8D]
Old 06-17-2006, 02:19 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: atomsk680

well all those mitsubishi's and other imports and the porsche are all FWD, unless they did something to them so they could drift in the movie.
HUH? nOOb! der da der der!

well, as was stated RWD is the better platform for drift. having RWD will allow you to first GET your car sideways (w/o the e-brake) and second KEEP it sideways by still pushing the car while the front steer in the direction you want it to go. it's a little like driving on ice, lots of counter steering. now, FRD you have to lock up the rears, so you start to slow down (it's inevitable). even with the front still "driving" the car, it slows down so you have to cut the e-brake in and out (usually. if you're set up good, you can just brake hard and cut the traction out and than drift out from there).
Old 06-17-2006, 02:28 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Clu7ch

well, as was stated RWD is the better platform for drift. having RWD will allow you to first GET your car sideways (w/o the e-brake) and second KEEP it sideways by still pushing the car while the front steer in the direction you want it to go. it's a little like driving on ice, lots of counter steering. now, FRD you have to lock up the rears, so you start to slow down (it's inevitable). even with the front still "driving" the car, it slows down so you have to cut the e-brake in and out (usually. if you're set up good, you can just brake hard and cut the traction out and than drift out from there).
well whenever they did that way without the e-brake, they would smash into the wall or another car. i know ive only drifted in ym fox was when it was raining or icey on the road, never when it was dry.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

well whenever they did that way without the e-brake, they would smash into the wall or another car. i know ive only drifted in ym fox was when it was raining or icey on the road, never when it was dry.

okay, try to remember what movie "series" we are talking about here. do you really expect them to know what they are doing? [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

you wanna see a REAL drift movie, rent the LIVE ACTION version of "Initial D" good ****, good movie, real drifting. it also stars the most sought after drift car, as much of an underpowered POS it is, and is the reason that car is so sought after as a drift car!

all the e-brake is used for is to cut out the traction of the wheels so the drift can begin. you can do that, STOMP the brakes and cut all traction, than jump back on the gas as you cut the wheel or inertia (almost like a fish tail or start of a burnout; cut away from the drift and back in and this time open the throttle.) to send the *** end out, than counter steer and go.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:58 PM
PX429
5th Gear Member

It's so much easier with the E-Brake if you don't use the e-brake it makes it almost impossible too drift correctly.

And after the movie I had a Silverado, a Jetta and a 87 CRX, try ot race me as I was cassually driving home. What the hell?

OH and clutch have you actually tried that? It's a lot harder then your making it sound to be.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:07 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

okay, try to remember what movie "series" we are talking about here. do you really expect them to know what they are doing? [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

you wanna see a REAL drift movie, rent the LIVE ACTION version of "Initial D" good ****, good movie, real drifting. it also stars the most sought after drift car, as much of an underpowered POS it is, and is the reason that car is so sought after as a drift car!

all the e-brake is used for is to cut out the traction of the wheels so the drift can begin. you can do that, STOMP the brakes and cut all traction, than jump back on the gas as you cut the wheel or inertia (almost like a fish tail or start of a burnout; cut away from the drift and back in and this time open the throttle.) to send the *** end out, than counter steer and go.
try it and get a movie i couldnt do it at all without a slick road.

Quick Reply: Fast and furious tokyo drift