Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What kind of gas do you use in your classic mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 11:57 AM
bbbitter
1st Gear Member

Default What kind of gas do you use in your classic mustang?

What octane gas do most of you guys use? I have been using 87 octane and now I am being told that I am backfiring when I shift. It's not real bad and I can't even hear it in the car but I thought I would check and see if maybe I should go with a higher octane gas. I have also been having a problem in the past couple weeks or so with just a little bit of Dieseling. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2006, 12:26 PM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What kind of gas do you use in your classic mustang?

i use 93 in mine and i think mine gets 9 miles per gallon, and at 299 a gallon its pricey
Old 06-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I used to use high octane in my 289 2V, but found I was just wasting money because 87 octane runs just fine. Unless your engine is 10:1 compression you don't need high octane gas. Backfiring and dieseling are not caused by the octane of the gas. That's a timing problem.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:45 PM
Fastback Guy
2nd Gear Member

I only run 93 octane in mine but not for any particular reason. I just do it because it's the best and I run it in my '05 GMC Sierra and '06 CBR1000RR also. That said, I have a company ride so I don't have to buy fuel that often.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:50 PM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

I used to use high octane in my 289 2V, but found I was just wasting money because 87 octane runs just fine. Unless your engine is 10:1 compression you don't need high octane gas. Backfiring and dieseling are not caused by the octane of the gas. That's a timing problem.
yeah glen i run mine on high octane only becasue i have a high compression ratio of 11:1.....see i told you my car isnt stock hahaha
Old 06-14-2006, 03:26 PM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

The Premium fuel also has higher amounts of detergants which will clean your engine. I put premium in mine once a month just to help out with carbon build up.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

But, what exactly is octane? Well octane, simply put, is the gasoline’s resistance to burning. Yes, its resistance to burning. So basically 87 octane requires less to get it to start burning and the higher 93 octane requires more to get it to start to burn. High performance cars usually require higher grade gas and lower performance cars such as minivans, family sedans, and economy cars usually require lower 87 octane. This may be where some people think that higher octane gas helps them, as like a high performance car, they will get more power. This is not true. High performance cars actually take advantage of the fact that 93 octane is harder to burn. These cars are able to have higher compression ratios and more performance oriented ignition timing curves. Where as in most cars that just require 87, no real benefits can be had from using higher octane gas and actual harm may occur.

The second difference in some of the gasses is the additives that are added to gas. That is, some brands add there own special blend of cleaners and such to help keep your fuel system clean, or whatever bogus reason they give. Really most everything they add does not make a difference that makes up for buying an unneeded grade of gas. Everything that they add can be made up for with a simple bottle of fuel system cleaner every few oil changes.

Now that you know the basic differences, you should know the consequences of using higher octane gas when it is not required. Putting higher grade gas in your gas when you don't need it kicks you in the butt twice. First, you end paying about 20 cents more per gallon then you need to, which can add up to astronomical figures if you drive a lot. And secondly, you can end up clogging your engine with harmful carbon deposits and possibly lower your gas mileage. This is because the higher octane is harder to burn, and lower performance engines may not be able to completely burn all the gas, which causes carbon to build up.

These are the reasons I use 87 octane gas. My 9:1 compression ratio engine simply does not need it.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:00 PM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

But, what exactly is octane? Well octane, simply put, is the gasoline’s resistance to burning. Yes, its resistance to burning. So basically 87 octane requires less to get it to start burning and the higher 93 octane requires more to get it to start to burn. High performance cars usually require higher grade gas and lower performance cars such as minivans, family sedans, and economy cars usually require lower 87 octane. This may be where some people think that higher octane gas helps them, as like a high performance car, they will get more power. This is not true. High performance cars actually take advantage of the fact that 93 octane is harder to burn. These cars are able to have higher compression ratios and more performance oriented ignition timing curves. Where as in most cars that just require 87, no real benefits can be had from using higher octane gas and actual harm may occur.

The second difference in some of the gasses is the additives that are added to gas. That is, some brands add there own special blend of cleaners and such to help keep your fuel system clean, or whatever bogus reason they give. Really most everything they add does not make a difference that makes up for buying an unneeded grade of gas. Everything that they add can be made up for with a simple bottle of fuel system cleaner every few oil changes.

Now that you know the basic differences, you should know the consequences of using higher octane gas when it is not required. Putting higher grade gas in your gas when you don't need it kicks you in the butt twice. First, you end paying about 20 cents more per gallon then you need to, which can add up to astronomical figures if you drive a lot. And secondly, you can end up clogging your engine with harmful carbon deposits and possibly lower your gas mileage. This is because the higher octane is harder to burn, and lower performance engines may not be able to completely burn all the gas, which causes carbon to build up.

These are the reasons I use 87 octane gas. My 9:1 compression ratio engine simply does not need it.

...uhhh well put dad
Old 06-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Charlie1
2nd Gear Member

Great explanation, Glen. Let me complicate the issue and get an opinion....In Minnesota, the 87 and 89 octanes are laced with ethanol by law (I think it's 15%). But you can buy 93 at several local stations, with no added grain alcohol and no oxygen added, that is specifically designated for use for collector cars, small engines, boats, etc. Is the trade off worth it (no rubber-eating everclear vs carbon problems)? Also, should I be using a lead additive? This is my 200 I6 with a verified 55,000 miles and has been running sweet on the 93 for the year I've had it. (BTW, you were right on the 190 thermostat...this is one engine that probably can handle it...I'm running a 180 and it's okay but now I'm gettin paranoid about deposits from running too cool.)
Old 06-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Charlie1

Great explanation, Glen. Let me complicate the issue and get an opinion....In Minnesota, the 87 and 89 octanes are laced with ethanol by law (I think it's 15%). But you can buy 93 at several local stations, with no added grain alcohol and no oxygen added, that is specifically designated for use for collector cars, small engines, boats, etc. Is the trade off worth it (no rubber-eating everclear vs carbon problems)? Also, should I be using a lead additive? This is my 200 I6 with a verified 55,000 miles and has been running sweet on the 93 for the year I've had it. (BTW, you were right on the 190 thermostat...this is one engine that probably can handle it...I'm running a 180 and it's okay but now I'm gettin paranoid about deposits from running too cool.)
We have discussed the need for lead substitutes on here before, and I still maintain that if you have the old soft valve seats, it doesn't hurt to use the substitute, and you may be prolonging the life of your heads by using it. I use it. I put in a few caps full every time I fill up the car, and it still purrs like a kitten with almost 150 thousand miles on an untouched engine. That 180 thermostat is just fine. I need to do some research regarding the ethanol being added to gas. Some say it eats the rubber in the carb, but I don't know what rubber they are talking about. Are they talking about the needle tips, gaskets, or what? Where do you think I can go to get this proof that ethanol is bad for engines?

Quick Reply: What kind of gas do you use in your classic mustang?