Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Stang stung from e-Bay! Pooh! ...twice!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Color by WEASEL
2nd Gear Member

Default Stang stung from e-Bay! Pooh! ...twice!

Well, I got stung from a seller on e-bay. I bought what I thought was a 65-66 rear bumper, original. Paid like 50 bucks plus shipping, about $75 total. Well, it gets here and it has a made in Japan sticker inside. Most everything I have bought has been original Ford parts, used of coarse. My car is not NOS nor is my pocket-book! I even asked the guy to verify it for me and he said he was selling it for a friend and he said it was original. Man I was pi$$ed when I opened the box. A 1 inch by 3 inch Made in Japan sticker. And the seller could not see it!? I confronted him and he said, "I told you I was selling it for a friend!" I said, "Yea, and who are you, Ray Charles! You did not see the G I A N T sticker." Oh well, I suck it up and say, hey, it's a bumper, it looks OK, so what! But (...the legendary "but"), I go to fit it up with the bumper brackets and license light and the thing is no whwer near what it is supposed to be. The fold is not right and the whole thing is about an inch longer then my original. I wonder if it is for a 67 or 68. Anyway, I had to vent. Now, does anyone know the difference in a 66 to a 68? Maybe I can sell it. DESCRIBED CORRECTLY! Do-do takes place! [sm=rant.gif]
Old 06-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Smothers
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Stang stung from e-Bay! Pooh! ...twice!

That sux man. Yep, buying on ebay is risky business. I have learned you have to ask mucho questions about what you're considering buying, and even then it can be disappointing (ie the bumper).

Here are some things i've been burned on buying on ebay:

* 65 rally-pac (was told it worked and was is near perfect cond. Clock works sometimes but never keeps good time. Tach had a short and when the ingnition was turned on it fried and took the $90 ignition module in my mallory distributer with it, plus had spot that had been poorly touched up with black paint).

* 11' bellhousing and throwout bearing fork (not too bad on this one, but the fork was suppose compatible w/ mustang and it was for a ?truck?)

* "all parts needed to convert 65 Mustang automatic to manual trans" (oh boy, this was the mother of all my bad purchases. Bellhousing had a nice chunck broken out of it. Fly wheel teeth were chewed up worse then a meth addict's teeth. overall about 50 % of what I needed was there and half of that was junk.)

* "complete original toploader shifter" (not bad except the controll arms that come with 99% of the shifters i've seen for sale were not there, and in case you're wondering, they are not easy to find and are costly.)

There are more that i'm not remembering. If I had asked more questions befor I bought some of these things, I could have saved myself some grief. Sometimes it seems that, if someone can take advantage of you, they will. However, I know there are still honest people out there and succesfully purchasing item on ebay is possible. BUYERS BEWARE!
Old 06-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Hettar
1st Gear Member

Yea, I done heard too many horror stories about ebay. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. [sm=forgetit.gif]
Old 06-20-2006, 01:40 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

I have been dealing with ebay sales for around 8 years. Out of 750 deals, I got screwed one time. Their feedback says allot about who they are and how they do business. Leave bad feedabck for him but, tell him you're going to unless this is settled.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Color by WEASEL
2nd Gear Member

I left Negative feedback and he threatened to hurt my account with the same. I told him "Go ahead, when I reply no one will care!" Ne never said another word and has my Neg feedback on his record. It was the least I could do! And, too, for the record...all my other e-bay experiences have been good. Just last night I finally felt like tinkering on taking off the brackets and stuff. A little 1/2 hour project to get my fill for the day, and pooh. The dang thing does not fit. Months after the purchase so I got to relive it again. Hence the venting! Thanks for listening! Oh yea...one more thing ^%!@#^$&(@E%)(%(&!@E#)P Ok...better.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:27 PM
67Rally
2nd Gear Member

Why is it that we allow people to use lame excuses to push us aside? Selling for someone else? Why do I care who you're selling it for? I care about who YOU are selling it TO! Sheesh! Take responsibility for your actions. Make it right, don't make excuses.

In my experience, these people always know exactly what they are doing. Dishonesty is a common business...I mean life practice for them.

Buying on eBay is a crap shoot. I feel your pain. My wife has been burned and she plays nice to these people who stiff her. She's too afraid of receiving retaliation feedback to be honest. Not me, I don't want to be the one burned because someone was too afraid to be truthful.

I feel for you, WEASEL.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:58 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Me too, I have NO problem leaving negative feedback at all. I don't care if they are going to do the same to me.. Screw them, one time I was soooo upset, I setup a web site with what he did to deceive me (with photo's) and sent the web link to every bidder he had. Guess what, I got my money back..
Old 06-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I've been buying and selling on Ebay for several years now without one negative incident. I even bought both new bumpers off ebay, and they seem to fit just fine. They are not as well built as my originals though, but if I don't run into something, they look just fine. These bumpers aren't strong enough to even be called bumpers. As far as I am concerned, they are just a chrome decoration.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Rorin67
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Smothers
... Yep, buying on ebay is risky business...
Sure is, but hell, I BOUGHT MY '67 ON EBAY!!! After 5 million questions, phone calls, emails, pictures, and NOT HAVING EVEN SEEN THE CAR, I bought it (seller in TX) and had it delivered to me (in SoCal). The car's condition was generally as described - a few possible things misrepresented, but not a biggy. In any event, I enjoy fixing things to my liking - that way I know what's wrong and what's right. And as a daily driver, I can't fuss about it too much.

Best of luck to you in the future!

[IMG]local://upfiles/29286/E0E3F0093C5247948425C3504CC6D905.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-20-2006, 03:43 PM
67Rally
2nd Gear Member

Do you still have the site, Slickman? I love reading that stuff.

Quick Reply: Stang stung from e-Bay! Pooh! ...twice!