Restomod vs. Restoration Prices - MustangForums.com



Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
90lxstang
4th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,879
Default Restomod vs. Restoration Prices

What would you say is more expensive? Taking a pretty decent car and doing a restomod or restoring it to original specs? I know converting old pieces to new (breaks, engine, electrical) is expensive but so are some original parts. I dont have the time to go item by item and really check. Its just a thought I had after seeing fully restored cars on ebay vs some restomods.
90lxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:01 PM   #2
Scott H.
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location:
Posts: 2,445
Default RE: Restomod vs. Restoration Prices

I'd say either and/or neither.
Would depend on the car, and the plans you'd have for upgrades.
In order to answer that question, you need to make the time to completely catalog the car, then figure out your two plans completely. Anything less is just shooting in the dusk...to dark, depending on your intial effort.

Is expense your major priority? If it is, I'd rethink this hobby completely.
Good luck,

Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:08 PM   #3
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,170
Default RE: Restomod vs. Restoration Prices

Ya it depends, at first I would want to say restoriation because original parts can be expensive, but then when you think about it a aset of JME restomod gauges cost about 1000 dollars [] Depends what you want to do and how extreme (super restomod or super all original parts) you want to gol.
EmperorOfChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:29 PM   #4
EricButler
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 89
Default RE: Restomod vs. Restoration Prices

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 90lxstang

What would you say is more expensive? Taking a pretty decent car and doing a restomod or restoring it to original specs? I know converting old pieces to new (breaks, engine, electrical) is expensive but so are some original parts. I dont have the time to go item by item and really check. Its just a thought I had after seeing fully restored cars on ebay vs some restomods.

I think it depends on how heavily you get into the restomod thing. If you go all out it is going to cost way more to do a custom restomod. Just think about if you were to put a trick coil over suspension in the front and rear. The front is 2,200 and the rear is like 5,000. That is way more then any stock suspension set up. Then you have the engine, wheels and tires, rack and pinion, custom paint, etc etc. The list can go on and on.
EricButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:09 PM   #5
Soaring
I ♥ Acer
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location:
Posts: 17,565
Default RE: Restomod vs. Restoration Prices

Yeah, there are a lot of variations when you say restomod vs. original. Generally though, putting a classic back to its original condition is less expensive than the expensive mods.
Soaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:55 PM   #6
90lxstang
4th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,879
Default RE: Restomod vs. Restoration Prices

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Soaring

Yeah, there are a lot of variations when you say restomod vs. original. Generally though, putting a classic back to its original condition is less expensive than the expensive mods.
Thats basically what I was thinking. I just wanted opinions from people with more experience than myself. So it basically comes down to the wire, which might be >$5K (being generous) and I think that $5K is worth your preference and satisfaction in your vehicle. Thanks for the input!
90lxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:19 PM   #7
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,946
Default RE: Restomod vs. Restoration Prices

I hope you are not thinking that restorations or restomods are in the 5k ball park. I quit counting at $12,000 on my restomod and I think I'm at about $20,000. I'll add it up when I'm done.
67t5ponycoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:06 AM   #8
67Sally
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location:
Posts: 1,964
Default RE: Restomod vs. Restoration Prices

The possibilties with a restomod are endless but the majority of well done originals usually cost more IMO.
67Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:17 AM   #9
Soaring
I ♥ Acer
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location:
Posts: 17,565
Default RE: Restomod vs. Restoration Prices


Quote:
ORIGINAL: 67Sally

The possibilties with a restomod are endless but the majority of well done originals usually cost more IMO.
What do you know? You can't even fix a flat tire. Nah, restomods, depending on the extent you want to take them, are generally a lot more expensive because of the special parts needed. Special parts are more expensive because of the market value. For instance. A 289 engine that gets an overhaul with nothing special but original specs will run you a ton less than a hopped up woopty do 500 HP engine. Another example: A hood for a 65 that is original, but prepped for paint, will run you a ton less than a cowl hood or a shaker hoood. These are just simple examples, but you might get the point. How about that special aftermarket restomod gauge pod?
Soaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:26 AM   #10
67Sally
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location:
Posts: 1,964
Default RE: Restomod vs. Restoration Prices


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Soaring


Quote:
ORIGINAL: 67Sally

The possibilties with a restomod are endless but the majority of well done originals usually cost more IMO.
What do you know? You can't even fix a flat tire. Nah, restomods, depending on the extent you want to take them, are generally a lot more expensive because of the special parts needed. Special parts are more expensive because of the market value. For instance. A 289 engine that gets an overhaul with nothing special but original specs will run you a ton less than a hopped up woopty do 500 HP engine. Another example: A hood for a 65 that is original, but prepped for paint, will run you a ton less than a cowl hood or a shaker hoood. These are just simple examples, but you might get the point. How about that special aftermarket restomod gauge pod?
But how many of those 500hp 'Stangs do you actually see vs the all original Stickers In Place, Correctly Painted ones? That's why I said that you could spend more on a restomod but for example I won't spend nearly as much as you probably did. 90lx, don't listen to Soaring...he rarely knows what he's talking about
67Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear Package Shelf jrrhd73must Classic Mustang General Discussion 2 10-02-2015 10:17 PM
Whats a good price for these parts? NYstang V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs 1 09-30-2015 10:56 PM
Engine Knock 69Volunteer Classic Mustang General Discussion 1 09-30-2015 11:39 AM
cost to rebuild heads Drastang 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang 2 09-30-2015 04:48 AM
Patience is a virtue! 2007CalSpec Off Topic 14 09-26-2015 01:08 AM


Tags
cost, costs, expensive, fast, mod, original, orlando, prices, resto, restomod, restomods, restoration, sale, shops, versus

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.