Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

newbie mistake VIN problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 10:45 PM
wil33562
1st Gear Member

Default newbie mistake VIN problems

Well I made a newbie mistake when I purchased my Mustang a month ago. I took the owners word that it was originally a 66 C code coupe. The interior was a 66, the door plate said it was a 66, the door plate said it was a C-code, and the title said it was a 66 C-code and matched the VIN in the door.

I didn't know at the time I purchased the car that there was also a VIN on the drivers side engine compartment. It was really covered up deep with paint of whiched looked 20-30yrs old.

I finally got around to getting the paint off of the engine compartment VIN with a wire brush and sure enough it says the car is a 65 T-code.

It really threw me for a loop, because all of the suspension was for a V8 along with the fenders having the holes in the front of them for a 289 emblem. Plus the interior gauges are from a 66.

Are there any other places to look for the VIN, besides the door plate and drivers side engine compartment? Are there any more tale-tale signs that I can look for to confirm if this was really a t-code or c-code?

Also, legally, when I get ready to sale this in several years, what can I sale it as?

It ticks me off to think that I probably have an orginal t-code car, but I'm not really that discouraged. I will continue to push on in my efforts to restore the vehicle!

Thanks,
Kris
Old 06-27-2006, 10:48 PM
ACADIST
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: newbie mistake VIN problems

I know the'67 had it stamped into the sheet metal under the drivers fender, must remove the fender to see it.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:49 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

you'd have to get the oppinions of the other members but i do know you can have another buck tag made up by someone. but the vin is the vin. you can check the engine for casting numbers and decipher them using the links in the FAQ's page maybe that would help but you still run the chance of the motor being replaced. good luck with everything, hope all works out for you!
Old 06-27-2006, 10:49 PM
espskillz
1st Gear Member

if you dont mind me askin a newbie question what is the diffrence betweent a t and a c code car and how do i find out which one i have?
Old 06-27-2006, 10:53 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Shoot. By the sounds of it....... The car is a 66 C code. it's possible that the apron was replaced with another one. I remember hearing that Ford even made mistakes with the Apron vin numbers....if i remember correctly.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:54 PM
wil33562
1st Gear Member

Well, I knew when I purchased the car that the engine was not original, because it was a 302 and not a 289.

Should I even be worried about this since the engine is now a 302 and not even original any way?

Basically, I'm just wondering if I fully restore the car with the existing 302, are people going to frown upon it because it was originally a t-code car and not an original V8?

t-code = 6 cylinder
c-code = 8 cylinder
Old 06-27-2006, 10:55 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

yeah, that is quite possible too.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:57 PM
wil33562
1st Gear Member

I hope that is the case. Is the VIN on the front apron part of the fender or is it more of the inner-structure of the engine compartment?

ORIGINAL: 6mustang6

Shoot. By the sounds of it....... The car is a 66 C code. it's possible that the apron was replaced with another one. I remember hearing that Ford even made mistakes with the Apron vin numbers....if i remember correctly.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wil33562

Well, I knew when I purchased the car that the engine was not original, because it was a 302 and not a 289.

Should I even be worried about this since the engine is now a 302 and not even original any way?

Basically, I'm just wondering if I fully restore the car with the existing 302, are people going to frown upon it because it was originally a t-code car and not an original V8?

t-code = 6 cylinder
c-code = 8 cylinder
well, just the fact that the motor has been changed to a 302 makes it no longer "numbers matching". the more important thing is, do you care what people think of YOUR car? are you restoring this to sell or for your own use? personally, i believe it's your car, if you want to paint it bright pink and put little flowers all over it, go for it! who's to tell you you can't. everyone has different tastes. now, if you want to resto it and make a few beans selling it, it would pay off to get everything to match up. and relplace the mismatched tag!
Old 06-27-2006, 11:01 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Well, you see where it is right? That is the apron. They have to be cut off... i believe to be changed. It's very possible, that the car was in a wreck, and the apron was replaced with a junkyard apron. I know my car was wrecked, because my driver side apron looks screwed up, but thank god, they didn't replace it, just fixed it alittle bit. I really wouldn't worry. I dont think somebody would go through so much trouble replacing everything to make it a 66. It doesn't make sense.

Quick Reply: newbie mistake VIN problems