Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 03:35 AM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Overheating

NEVER put cold water into a hot block though.[&:] Or into the radiator which puts it into the block.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tylerdru

NEVER put cold water into a hot block though.[&:] Or into the radiator which puts it into the block.
COLD! Room temp isn't even warm enough! I got burns from pouring room temp antifreeze/coolant into an empty rad after it heated up enough to actually shut the car down. I barely costed into the gas station. This was the day I found the gap in the top of the radiator where the cap goes on. As I was saying, I went to pour the coolant in the rad and it went in and shot right back out and onto my arms, just missed my face and thank god for long hair or i would have had burns on my head!

Now I have a new radiator, but that one's empty now too. []
Old 07-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Cannonball888
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Clu7ch

COLD! Room temp isn't even warm enough! I got burns from pouring room temp antifreeze/coolant into an empty rad after it heated up enough to actually shut the car down. I barely costed into the gas station. This was the day I found the gap in the top of the radiator where the cap goes on. As I was saying, I went to pour the coolant in the rad and it went in and shot right back out and onto my arms, just missed my face and thank god for long hair or i would have had burns on my head!

I think tyler was referrring to possibly cracking the block by using cold water. In your case, the water you added instantly boiled due to your overheated engine.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:13 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Cannonball888

ORIGINAL: Clu7ch

I think tyler was referrring to possibly cracking the block by using cold water. In your case, the water you added instantly boiled due to your overheated engine.
Yeah, I know that. I just felt like sharing a good story with everyone.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:47 PM
weires66

Howdy. I noticed my fuel line between my fuel filter and connection to bottom of the block was resting on my intake manifold. I moved the hose up and off and it now rests up by the distributor. Thanks. I hope that helps. I will research the spacer thingy.

Scott
Old 08-10-2006, 02:37 AM
magic_man77

I live in Fresno California and I will tell you first hand that an electric fan in this hot weather is the only way to go. the other thing I did that cost me about $60 is I got my 4 core radiator boiled and roded out. These 2 things made a world of difference. Be careful though. Some people might tell you to take out your thermostat in the summer time in hot areas, but I do not suggest this. Because it is so hot outside, the hot air that the fan is bringing in is not cool enough to drop the temperature of the water before it goes into the engine. It will stay running hot all the time.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:30 AM
ADRIAN1
2nd Gear Member

ok my car has been kind off on the hot side lately and i figuerd out why... i think its because my overflow tank has a crack on the top. so if this is the case i would like to know where i can buy a new replacement tank as shown in this link.
http://www.sacramento-mustang.com/im...adshoseklg.jpg
Old 08-10-2006, 08:20 AM
Cannonball888
2nd Gear Member

I'd get a polished stainless steel one instead. They are low profile and work great. You can get brand new ones on eBay for 25-30 dollars.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:34 AM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

Amen to that Scott!

a couple of things i would like to share from experience involving coolant....

mask of water neck where upper rad. hose will attach b/f painting and make sure the neck has a rough surface and decent lip on it.
make sure your radiator hose clamps are on correctly and very tight.
change your thermostat - one of the many possible causes of my accident. testing it after in the house showed my old one didn't open until 235 degrees.
don't fill your radiator to the very top w/coolant. coolant expands when it gets hot. fill it to just barely over the fins/core in the radiator.
when re-filling cooling system - with the coolant level barely over the top cores, run the car with your radiator cap off "parked" for 5-10 minutes to get the air out of the cooling system (BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL AND USE EYE PROTECTION). If you filled the radiator too full, it will spray out of the top. Let it completely cool down, refill to the correct level if needed and put the cap back on and have a car buddy look things over if you are not sure about something.

Trust me, it's not something to take lightly. After spending 4 hours in the ER and almost losing an eye, I have a new appreciation for safety and taking precautions.

ORIGINAL: Scott H.

(IMO) Paladin's post was excellent.
Pammie, do you have a fan shroud? If not, I'd put the correct one for your car on. Sitting in traffic is a way of life these cars weren't originally designed for. If the shroud alone won't keep it cool under those driving conditions, you can upgrade the fan.
Putting it in neutral does two good things. One it lets the rpms come up a couple of hundred for more air flow, second it stops the slipping and heating of the automatic transmission fluid. Also giving yourself a little more room between you and the car in front will help keep your car from injesting hot exhaust which worsens the problem.

Now, as to what to do when your car over heats and won't cool off by itself:
My suggestion is to pull into the nearest gas station, and use an open water hose at full volume to pour water over the lower half of the radiator while the car is idling,and the hood is closed. If there is a spray nozzle on the hose take it off. You want large volumes of cold water, not high pressure low volume. Unless your engine is out of coolant, or has a coolant flow problem, this will quickly reduce the temp to a safe zone.
If your car doesn't start cooling down immediately when you do this, go ahead and shut it off, and find a nice place to spend a couple of hours. You've got bigger problems to deal with. Doing anything other than this is inviting danger to yourself. Just ask earlymustang, what hot coolant is like.

Very nice to see someone so cogniscent of what the gauges are doing.