Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

High Speed Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 12:26 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Default RE: High Speed Vibration

Damn, You've done every damn thing to that. I hope the drums fix it. It could have been in a BAD wreck, and the car itself it out of alignment.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:05 PM
ebluekeys
2nd Gear Member

Put on new rear drums. It helped somewhat, but now rather than feeling it "all over", it seems more focused on the fronts. Replacing them this week. Had them all turned when I bought the car, and I'm guessing they were chucked up slightly off center... Should have the final answer by this weekend. Will post final outcome here.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: ebluekeys

Put on new rear drums. It helped somewhat, but now rather than feeling it "all over", it seems more focused on the fronts. Replacing them this week. Had them all turned when I bought the car, and I'm guessing they were chucked up slightly off center... Should have the final answer by this weekend. Will post final outcome here.
Not until you press on the brakes do the drums have anything to do with the running gear. If the drums are out of round, you will get a vibration when stopping at high mph. But, in the meantime while you are driving down the road, only the bearings come into contact with the running gear.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:59 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

well Glen, If the brakes are adjusted kind of tight, it could possibly do that.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I don't see how. However, since I quit smoking last week, I seem to be eaten up with the dumb ***.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:12 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

i beat that can do that. My drums rub all the time. They'll rub then spin freely, rub and then spin freely. I can see it create a vibration. ACtually, i have alittle vibration, but im still young, and it doesn't bother me yet.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:38 PM
Smothers
3rd Gear Member

congrats!
ORIGINAL: Soaring

I don't see how. However, since I quit smoking last week, I seem to be eaten up with the dumb ***.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:45 PM
paladin_1888
2nd Gear Member

try a different tack for your wheel balancing, I use a product from Innovative balancing. It is little ceramic beads that go inside the tire, you use about 4 oz. in a passenger tire. This balances the tire as you drive and does it constantly. Since it works as you drive it takes care of drum balance as well as the wheel and tire. I use this in my truck tires and have found the product to do an excellent job. Am getting more tire mileage and tires stay in balance fron new to worn out.Works so good on the trucks I have it in my stang as well, took care of a nagging vibration that I had before.You can find the company by the web site and order the product.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:15 PM
fast66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

ORIGINAL: ebluekeys

Not until you press on the brakes do the drums have anything to do with the running gear. If the drums are out of round, you will get a vibration when stopping at high mph. But, in the meantime while you are driving down the road, only the bearings come into contact with the running gear.
Im with e bluekeys on this.
If they have "chucked it up off centre", say in a 4 jaw chuck, then more material would be removed from one side than othe other, this will not make them out of round, just off balance. Hence out of balance. that is exactly the reason balance weights are used from new. (to take up inaccuracies in both casting and machining)
The issue you are referring to would be pulsing while braking. (which would also occur with off centre machining.)
Old 08-03-2006, 09:33 PM
ebluekeys
2nd Gear Member

ARRRRRRRRGGHGHGHGHGHGH!!!!!!!
Tried the new drums today. Nice fresh new factory units, with NO weights! Checked them on the bubble balancer and they are perfect. Lubed all the joints. Checked everything, nice and tight. Had an alignment done - watched them do it. New rims, new tires, Watched them balance them. They even broke them down to spin them 180 to minimize weights needed. Test drove the car today, and IT STILL SHAKES. Starts around 58 - 60 now, and gets worse the faster you drive. Take car out of gear and shaking continues. This eliminates engine, and tranny. U-joints are NEW. All 4 drums are new and balance fine. Tires/rims are new (problem has persisted through THREE different sets of tires rims).

WHAT THE F... could be causing this???? This is not a "little" vibration. The whole damn car is shaking... enough that even someone with big cajones would back off at 70!! PLEASE, experts, start suggesting options????

The car was never wrecked. The frame rails are straight. The alignment is perfect. Power steering is new, and leak free. Shocks are new. Brakes are not dragging. ball joints are tight. Idler are is tight. Tie rod ends are tight. If I back off the brake shoes the wheels spin just fine - no roughness in the bearing races. (they are new as well!!)

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(]

Quick Reply: High Speed Vibration