Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Toploader question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 10:47 AM
wadeb3
1st Gear Member

Default Toploader question

A quick question from a transmission novice:
My toploader has been gettig increasingly hard to get into 2nd gear. It used to only be tough on the downshift from 3rd into 2nd, now it's gotten just as hard to get into 2nd from 1st, which used ot not be a problem at all. I'm slowly losing lube from the plug in the bottom of the transmission. It's really slow, maybe a drop or two a day. I'm not sure how much I've lost or how long it's been leaking. This would seem to be the source of my problems, but I wanted to run it by the forum, because I don't know that much about transmissions.
Basically, my question is, should I adress the leaking plug first, with the assumption that the loss of lube is causing my shifting problems, or might I need to get the shifter rebuilt or replaced? Or both? Is there a fairly easy fix for the leaky plug (oversized plug or maybe a grommet of some sort)?
Thanks for the advice. Learning as I go...
Old 05-21-2004, 11:13 AM
69FECoupe
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Toploader question

Start with the leak. The bottom plug should be a pipe thread plug. It's very unusual for them to leak. Make sure it's tight. I would much more suspect that the shift rods may be leaking where they come through the side of the case. The oil will seep down the side and make it look like the plug is leaking. Until you diagnose the problem, make sure you keep the tranny full. If you don't, you'll damage the bearings and the syncros.