Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How do!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 12:24 AM
Luann66

Default How do!!!

I'm looking for help regarding replacing the gas tank on Luann. Who is Luann you ask? She is my '66 coupe. Arctic white with Ivy gold and white pony interior. Besides the obvious replacing the tank and the filler tube, is there anything else I should be ordering?
Old 05-22-2004, 01:02 AM
68GEETEE
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How do!!!

Hi,

you may want to install a new gas gauge sending unit while you are at it. Since yours might be the 38 year old original unit, it might give out on you soon.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:32 PM
68silvercoupe
1st Gear Member

you need to do the obvious things like loosen and take out the bolts holding the tank in place. Draining it would be a good idea, and yes, ordering a new tube and tank will be necessary. The fuel pump will more than likely need to be replaced to be on the safe side. Hope this helps..
Old 05-22-2004, 10:38 PM
Luann66

Yes it has! Thanks alot. I was looking at the product offering by one of the websites out there and they have something listed as a filler tube that is made of rubber or some such. I know the steel filler tube is required but was concerned that I would start the project and find out that I needed that "rubber" part as well. Thoughts?
Old 05-24-2004, 04:11 PM
bob emmerich
2nd Gear Member

Yes. Order the sending unit and the fuel tank fill tube(the rubber part between the fill pipe and tank)and some new clamps. While you're at it, I would also recommend some 3M Strip Caulk to put around the flanges of the tank for a better seal to the body and order 2 fill tube-to-body gaskets(so the gas cap is farther away from the body and won't scratch it when turned-it's an old restorers' trick).