Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Please evalute this '66 I inherited ... pics!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Tim Currie

Default RE: Please evalute this '66 I inherited

Well, the windows were cracked recently to allow it to dry out a little. When I dug it out from under the tree it was sealed up with all kinds of moisture inside that had been leaking in..... actually had about 4" of water on the floor behind the passenger front seat! [:-]

And this would be a long term project w/ myself and grandpa. So no I don't have 10k for it right now but eventually I can put that into it.

What should I do with it in the meantime while we work on it to stop it from rotting away any further? Any other tips? Advice?

Thanks guys,

Tim
Old 07-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tim Currie

Well, the windows were cracked recently to allow it to dry out a little. When I dug it out from under the tree it was sealed up with all kinds of moisture inside that had been leaking in..... actually had about 4" of water on the floor behind the passenger front seat! [:-]
cowl vents are gone...there is $3000 in labor right there alone.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:35 PM
428coupe
2nd Gear Member

Yes, cowl vents are likely gone, but the original post also says there is a 2" dia. hole in the roof, this is also a source of leakage that needs fixed asap.

Do you have a garage to work in? I would suggest first taking a bunch of photos. Then you can start disassembly to see how bad everything is. The photos will help when you go to put it back together. You need to stop the leaking and then you can start sanding and fixing all the rust issues while you save up for parts you will need. Pour a couple glasses of water down the cowl vents in front of the windshield, if water leaks into the floor board, your lower cowl panels will need replaced, and as twister said, labor for that can be expensive if you don't (or can't) fix it yourself
Old 07-31-2006, 02:46 PM
Tim Currie

That doesnt sound so good...
Old 07-31-2006, 04:53 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

sign up for a welding class at the local JC - you can do that yourself and get some movtivated folks from the class to help you out, definitely not in that bad a condition really (parts are so cheap for these cars that you can just replace everything with a skin or panel if you needed to............)
Old 07-31-2006, 05:03 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

another thought...4 inches of stanging water=MOLD!!! This car needs to be dipped
Old 07-31-2006, 05:11 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

dipped? like acid dip? couldnt he just pull all interior out everything and cut out floor boards and thats that for mold????? i wasnt aware it could grow on metal?
Old 07-31-2006, 05:12 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shifty101Easy

dipped? like acid dip? couldnt he just pull all interior out everything and cut out floor boards and thats that for mold????? i wasnt aware it could grow on metal?
it can grow on anything, like frame rails, inside the doors, in the trunks....

A ton of cars were just crushed after Katrina due to just the posibility of mold. I think that this car would be better off sold to someone with deep pockets or parted
Old 07-31-2006, 06:38 PM
muggsy
2nd Gear Member

Mold from Katrina is different, that was a rising flood waters from rivers, oceans, sewers, etc. That's different. Rained in cars with 4 inches of water behind the passenger seat should't need to be dipped in acid. Its not like it was sitting in dirty water like Katrina cars were.

Tim- Look at the frame rails carefully from underneath and after you cut out the floors. If they are okay, you're good to go. Interor is not that hard or expensive to fix. Its the frame and floors on that that are gonna cause you pain. Body panels don;t look bad either, they actually look pretty good. I'd be curious to know if the frame rails are shot since water was sitting on the floor pans..50-50 chance I'd guess.

As far as the cowls go, that is a big deal, but most classic stangs have leaky cowls. Just fix the floors and body and deal with the cowls later. Once you get the car in decent shape, put a cowl vent cover over it and consider fixing them at some point, but that's nothing to ditch the project over.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:48 PM
eholzer07
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Please evalute this '66 I inherited ... pics!

Y'all need to have some faith in this guy. I say go for it. You can find anything and everything on the web. The fact that the car is all original is really nice too. I wish mine hadnt been messed with before i got it. If you sell the car you have you may never get around to buying a different and then think what you will have missed.

Good luck and have fun

Quick Reply: Please evalute this '66 I inherited ... pics!