Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

So I had a slight lapse of self control this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:44 AM
lClutchl
3rd Gear Member

Default So I had a slight lapse of self control this weekend...

So I'm out at the Baker's show this weekend with a few friends...

We managed to find a few spots to park the cars together, but we didn't have anywhere to set up the canopy for shade. Well directly across from us there is a double wide median where everyone typically sets to watch the cars roll in. We had gotten there early enough that it was sparsely populated (No kidding... it is usually COVERED with people and shade tents) so I walked over to the nearest occupants and politely asked if it was ok if I set up a shade tent in an unused area.

Now some of the responses I was expecting were:
A) Sorry, we’re saving that spot for some friends.
B) We don’t like tents near our car, I’d rather you not.
C) The sun will be moving the shade of these two trees over there and we plan on occupying that space later.
D) Sorry, your tent would block a perfect view for a magazine photographer that might swoop in out of nowhere and suddenly decide to do an article on my wicked fast 9 second Terminator.
E) Any other polite lie designed to keep my un-shaven, long-haired hippy looking *** out of their vicinity.

And I would have been totally cool with any of those… but what I got was a retort from both of them filled with so much venom and disdain that it felt like a physical shove backwards! Now we’ve all dealt with jerks and ******** before, and I’m really good at the smile-and-thank-you reply designed to make people like that feel like total asses, but they were so unbelievably rude that my easy-going demeanor was instantly crushed by an uncontrolled instinctual need respond in the same mean and nasty tone that they blasted me with.

Me: “Hey, How’s it going… Would you mind if we set up a shade tent over here?” (Referring to the green area of the diagram)

Them: “YES WE MIND! WE MOST CERTAINLY MIND! WE GOT HERE AT 9:00AM TO GET THIS SPOT!”

Me: “JEEZ! I just thought I would be POLITE and NICLEY ASK if it was OK to set up in this UNUSED area that happens to be NEAR you.” Right about here I realize I've taken a step forward and I’m alternately glaring at both of them with possibly the meanest look I’ve had on my face since last Halloween while growling my reply to them through a locked jaw in a voice loud enough for all of the neighboring cruisers to hear what’s going on: “Since you two are obviously the OWNERS of this median I’ll go find something else!”

I walked away feeling really pissed-off and slightly embarrassed that I had snapped. I hate ********, and I'd just stepped down to their level. Ugh!

Later on we were talking to a friend of ours that camps out near the owner… he started telling us about a couple that came up and started bitching about a guy wanting to throw pop-ups in his area. These two were bitching a mile a minute and demanding that this jerk be thrown out! The owner just smiled and told them that people usually shared the medians. I guess they felt uncomfortable after our little altercation and left the cruise since they couldn’t get the “jerk” tossed. Man, I would have loved to have heard their version first hand.

Anyways, venting and crayola drawings aside... here are some pictures and highlights of the cruise:

All pictures

302 powered Wind up Bug:

Two 69 Shelby GT 500s

Best Marketing effort I've seen at a car show:

Enjoy!
Old 08-07-2006, 12:06 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Default RE: So I had a slight lapse of self control this weekend...

That would bother me too...good job on the paint diagram . Great pics though...those 20's are probably bigger than the girl
Old 08-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I wouldn't have even asked. I would have just set up the shade tent. That red GT500 looks just like one I judged on Saturday. I see two there at your show. We had 5 of those suckers at our show. And all 5 were cherry.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

funny, I was at a local event Saturday and I asked a group what was under the hood of a Model T tub...(not a Bucket) and the witch owner said "NOTHING"! I responded that if you don't want to answer questions about your car, DON'T take it to a show!

It used to be that car people had respect for each other, even the Ford Vs Chevy crowd would rib each other, but still respect the other person's car. Now it seems like half of the people are PITA's...
Old 08-07-2006, 03:54 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

the carshows i go to the guys arnt like that, the women dont know anything about the cars so they arnt even asked questions. but what makes me mad is that alot fo the guys there think you have to be 40+ to own a muscle car, so they dont take me seriously in a conversation. this own guy, i cant remember his name, was a real jerk to me last week. he was talking about heads on an engine, i said something that controdicted him, the other guys laughed at his mistake that a 17year old kid corrected him, he retorts "What? did you hear that on Pimp My Ride??"

that pissed me off...... but soon ill drive my 69 up there and shut him up.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: atomsk680

the carshows i go to the guys arnt like that, the women dont know anything about the cars so they arnt even asked questions. but what makes me mad is that alot fo the guys there think you have to be 40+ to own a muscle car, so they dont take me seriously in a conversation. this own guy, i cant remember his name, was a real jerk to me last week. he was talking about heads on an engine, i said something that controdicted him, the other guys laughed at his mistake that a 17year old kid corrected him, he retorts "What? did you hear that on Pimp My Ride??"

I understand what you are saying...the best one for me was with a bunch of old hot roddrs with flatheads (engine)...I was about 17 at the time and someone said something and I corrected him, then pointed out why I was right! I also love asking questions to owners that only engine builders would know, it changes their tone real quick.

As for the Pimp My Ride line, I would have come back with...no, I learned that by turning wrenches
Old 08-07-2006, 04:16 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twister

ORIGINAL: atomsk680

I understand what you are saying...the best one for me was with a bunch of old hot roddrs with flatheads (engine)...I was about 17 at the time and someone said something and I corrected him, then pointed out why I was right! I also love asking questions to owners that only engine builders would know, it changes their tone real quick.

As for the Pimp My Ride line, I would have come back with...no, I learned that by turning wrenches
yea i was so mad, i couldnt think straight.

in fact 2 weeks ago, i went with my friend who has a 72 cutlass supreme. this other guy came up and said "who built this car?" my friend replied "i did.." then the other guy so wuick to judge said "how long did it take your daddy?" i thought my friend would have decked him for saying that, but he went off on how his dad taught him everything and he could take apart and rebuild the entire car to spec. he cranked his engine and the guy left without a word.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:28 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

I was with my uncle who knows a lot (owns a '64 Galaxy, TBucket, Model T, and multiple Mustangs) at a show a few weeks ago and we saw a few of his friends who wanted to know a little about the DCF GT500. He didn't know anything about it so I started answering their questions and they just kind of nodded at my Uncle as if they knew I was wrong but we're being nice by pretending to listen. Then I told them that I know the guy who owns the car at the show and the guy who created it. I still don't think they believed me but why should they...I'm just a stupid 15 year old kid.

Dream Car Factory - Click
Old 08-07-2006, 05:04 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

Yeah you stupid kids.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:03 PM
tncruiser
3rd Gear Member

the reason some people are rude is cause they really dont understand the hobby three are 2 types of car guys old type (age 11 to 99) they earn and respect thier trophies ,new type they buy thier trophies and trailer them in do i like those cars absolutly. but a lot more of my respect goes to the guy who at least knows how to enjoy his car because its his baby and its for his satisfaction not just another notch on his money belt. when i take my 06 to a car show i will explain to folks cars are like kids never to yopung to take to a show, and yes i have an old car as well that shines as well as my new cars

Quick Reply: So I had a slight lapse of self control this weekend...