Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Quick Carb Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Smothers
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Quick Carb Help

Just think how cool it will feel to tell that sweet little betty you r trying to get to know better that you just rebuilt your carburator. She will be all over you
Old 08-08-2006, 09:07 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

2 barrel Ford carbs are simple to rebuild. All the kits I have gotten for them, I just needed the year and make and the parts store had the kit. The kits tend to be universal so there will be some left over gaskets when you are done. There is really not that many parts in that carb. On a different subject, I can't believe that someone would pay to get a real Shelby turned into an Elenor. They should be shot!
Old 08-08-2006, 10:01 PM
68chicagocoupe

67...what was the determing factor to not go 4v? I have been thinking about this conversion and I am also a newbie. thanks
Old 08-08-2006, 11:13 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

68Chicago: $...I didn't want to buy the intake, cam, etc. and since most of my driving is highway I was a little worried about gas mileage.

67t: I was kind of shocked too but that's what happens when someone with too much money retires and watches movies.

Smothers: None of my "Sweet Betty's" know what I carb is

Soaring: Do you think that if I mess up and get confused I could give it to a rebuild place in pieces??
Old 08-08-2006, 11:25 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

I have my old 2 barrel and intake at work so I can't give you thae tag# right now but I will get it tomorrow and post it here. I think the tag is still on it and I do know the intake is a 68 by the casting # so it should work for you.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:56 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Thanks MustangLover. Does anyone think I could give the shop that carb in pieces if I had to?
Old 08-09-2006, 01:15 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Surely if you pay them and all the pieces are there they would do it i say take lots of picture on a digital camara and then you can work it all out. I am planning to change my carb at some point and like u am a newbie, so my plan was first to play with the tuning of the carb once i know what carb type it is.....none matching number car and my car is kept about 5miles from my house so weekend only for me unfortuantly.

Paddy
Old 08-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Flat Tire......You are making a mountain out of a mole hill. There are only a few parts to deal with, not like a jigsaw puzzle. Get a can of Berryman's carb cleaner with the basket inside, then follow the directions I gave you. Note how each part comes out, and take your time. Don't lose any small parts. Put them in the basket immediately. The only problem you could possibly have is exactly how much to bend the tab on the float to adjust it. Trust me, it is very simple to overhaul that carb.
On Edit: Yes, any good shop will take the carb torn down if all the parts are there, so be sure not to lose any parts. But, you won't need to do that, because you will be building your own carb anyway.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:02 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

[] I'm a victim to peer pressure...I'll probably start to try rebuilding it this weekend
Old 08-09-2006, 05:49 PM
68pony5
1st Gear Member

A good source for rebuilts kits and carb rebuilds is Pony Carburetors. They rebuilt my carb to contours and it looks and runs great. The 289 2bb had flat spot in the acceleration and they fix all that too. They have a bunch of info on carbs and the such on the site too. Check it out. Here is their website http://www.ponycarburetors.com/default.asp

In the event, you can not find a tag. Here is a picture that tell you how to ID your carb. I got this from Pony's site. Your carb rebuild man should know this. My carb was missing the tag and during the rebuild Pony replaced it with a new one.

The only thing about the Pony carbs is that they are so busy...it took a couple weeks for them to turn it around. It was worth the wait for me.

Enjoy.....68pony5

[IMG]local://upfiles/39871/C7AC3158D5B144D0B57CCE9768DC9A16.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Quick Carb Help