Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

3-Point Belt -or- 5-Point Racing Harness?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 06:43 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 3-Point Belt -or- 5-Point Racing Harness?

ORIGINAL: Toddman0025

Not to hijack this thread but does anyone know a good source for a roll bar with a detachable cross-member?
think about it, welds are stronger than bolts.....
Old 08-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

OK, here comes the legal issues...by law, even though it is safer, ANY aftermarket belt is ilegal...I know, stupid law, but both choices listed are technically against the law.

With that being said, the 3 point is closer to legal if it has a release button. I personally have experiance with both 5 and 6 point belts, and a 6 point is mor comfortible...I personally would run both, and be sure to attach the shoulder belts on to the roll loop no more than 6 inches below your shoulder, above would be better.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:07 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

uhhh yeah.....

daily driver = 3 point

race car = 5 point

You planning on running 11.49 in the 1/4?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:59 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Since when were belts even required in '67?

ORIGINAL: Twister

OK, here comes the legal issues...by law, even though it is safer, ANY aftermarket belt is ilegal...I know, stupid law, but both choices listed are technically against the law.

With that being said, the 3 point is closer to legal if it has a release button. I personally have experiance with both 5 and 6 point belts, and a 6 point is mor comfortible...I personally would run both, and be sure to attach the shoulder belts on to the roll loop no more than 6 inches below your shoulder, above would be better.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:23 AM
Twister
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

the day that they were bolted in! techicaly, the pad on the horn ring is a safety device....
Old 08-10-2006, 01:28 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

I'm not required to have belts in my '71...Fed law. It had 3 points factory, even. '73 or '74 is when the feds mandated belts. Before that, it was a selling point.

the day that they were bolted in! techicaly, the pad on the horn ring is a safety device....
Old 08-10-2006, 01:30 AM
Toddman0025
2nd Gear Member

I'm not required to have belts in my '71...Fed law. It had 3 points factory, even. '73 or '74 is when the feds mandated belts. Before that, it was a selling point.

Really? I was stopped yesterday b/c the cop thought I wasn't wearing one (just the lap belt in mine).
Old 08-10-2006, 01:34 AM
Twister
5th Gear Member

dude, per federal law...IT IS ILEGAL TO REMOVE ANY FACTORY INSTALLED SAFETY DEVICE!!! THIS INCLUDES SEAT BELTS IN A 1948 TUCKER TORPEDO!
Old 08-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Rorin67
2nd Gear Member

...IT IS ILLEGAL TO REMOVE ANY FACTORY INSTALLED SAFETY DEVICE!!!...
Can't argue with that, except that after 40 years of wear and tear on the OEM belts I'll take my chances with a set of NEW aftermarkets.

About the 'stang - really just a daily driver and not a racer (that is, yet...). It's interesting to see the poll results - each choice is almost even!

As far as NHRA time rules requiring a roll bar and a 5-point - I doubt that I'll get there anytime soon, but I'm still trying...

Thanks for voting and for all of your replies!