Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

this hesitation is driving me nuts....

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 12:37 AM
channing

Default this hesitation is driving me nuts....

I have a 1970 grande coupe 302 v8. Not all the time but quite frequently when I am in a stopped position and go to accelerate there is a slight hesitation from the time i hit the gas to the time it starts to accelerate. For the most part the car runs good. I've had a new carborator, fuel pump, and fuel filter installed. Looking for advice.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:44 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Default RE: this hesitation is driving me nuts....

Bump your timing a few degrees. In fact, bump it till it pings then back off to where it stops pinging.

Watch the lights, and go on the first yellow! OH wait, that's for drag racing
Old 08-10-2006, 12:49 AM
channing

where do i find the timing
Old 08-10-2006, 12:56 AM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

on the flywheel. There should be a pointer and timing marks. Well on my 66 289 that's how it is. I had to clean off all the grime to read the marks though.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:05 AM
68chicagocoupe

Sounds like the same problem I have, mine is transmission. I am leaving it as is for now as I have other safety issues to take care of before I get to that. Have you rebuilt the trans at all? This drove me crazy trying to figure out what was wrong....after a while I took it to a placed called Mustang Restorations and after a careful examination it was determined the trans needs some work. And they have never shown me a reason not to trust them.

One other thing did ....you tune your carb? I bought a book at Murrays about tuning your carb and after a jet and choke adjstment the delay seemed better. You may want to try that, alot of people will say that most carbs come pretuned, but in my case it helped alot.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:08 AM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

Could you get the name and author of that book about tuning? I need to learn how to tune mine the correct way.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:39 AM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

What kind of carb are you running and what is the cfm rating. You may be over jetting it. I had a 700 cfm holley for a while and mine did the saaaame exact thing....mash on the throttle...1/2 second to full second delay...then the car came back to life. dropped down to my 670 cfm street avenger and it runs like a champ now.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:11 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Channing where do you live? If you live nearby I would gladly stop in and help you out.

There is more to it than timing and swapping carbs. Getting the carb right along with the timing will make it much more fun to drive.

Assuming by the question you posted as to "where do I find the timing" you arent familiar with working on older vehicles. That is okay, do a search through the FAQ section and find some of the things you have questions about. The guys here are pretty knowlegeable but you need to know what parts they are talking about. Tuning an engine takes a while to learn to do correctly, its not rocket science but its not as easy as falling off a log either.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:35 PM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

mine is so bad sometimes that when I try to floor it the engine just dies. It's scary when your trying to cross an intersection quickly and it does it. Twice it has done that to me and it's scary when cars are coming both ways. Do I just need to fine tune the carb? its a holley 4160 600cfm.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:00 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

More than likely the timing needs attention, but it could also be a few other things like a vacuum advance stuck, or an accelerator pump in the carb not working properly, or trash in the fuel filter.

Quick Reply: this hesitation is driving me nuts....